RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday Discussion: Favorite Book of 2010 Part 2

Last Week I asked for people's favorite book they read with a 2010 copyright.  Here are the books people mentioned on the blog and to me in person:
As a reminder, I will be withholding my opinion until the last week of the year when I will publish my top 10 best book I read this year in lieu of a Monday Discussion that week.  In the meantime, for an aggregated list of all of the best lists from all over the print and electronic media, click here.

This week I want to know what the best book you read this year was...period.  No restrictions here.  I have already had 2 nominations for The Glass Castle by staff here at the RA desk.  The BPL book groups read it this year, and Kathy and I loved it so much, we convinced most of the staff to read it too.  It will definitely make my top 10 to come out in 2 weeks.

So don't hold back.  Give me at least one and no more than three of the best books you read this year.  It doesn't matter when the book was published; in fact, the older the better.  Next week I will be asking you to look to the future.

You can always follow past Monday Discussions with this link.

5 comments:

Lizzy said...

My top three:
On the Way to the Wedding by Juila Quinn
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by e. lockhart
Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof

John BPL RA said...

Hours of Idleness by Lord Byron. It is my favorite book of all time. I have it in a first edition of his complete works printed not long after his death. I read it or, rather, re-read it before judging Poetry Idol this year. Some of the poems I have read so many times that I almost have them memorized yet I love the way they look on the page so I read them over and over. I always say that I like these poems because of their deep message and meaning but it's really so much more than that. The tone of them and their attitude is so wonderful to see that I don't think there has ever been better poetry than this. Before I read this book I didn't even like poetry.

Kathy, BPL RA said...

As Becky mentioned, I loved "The Glass Castle." It was just such a crazy story told in such a perfect way. Another one I loved, that I had never read before, was also a book club pick - "My Life in France" by Julia Child. I really thought I would not like this book but it was lovely. And I am a sucker for luscious descriptions of luscious food. And just as an afterthought - OMG! Two more non-fiction books, nutty.

Tensy said...

"A Visit from the Goon Squad", by Jennifer Egan, "The Lonely Polygamist" by Brady Udall and lastly, "The Hunger Games Trilogy" by Suzanne Collins.

Anonymous said...

My favorite book that I read this year is, "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave. I finally got around to reading Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian," which I also loved. And I'd also have to go with "Winter's Bone," by Daniel Woodrell (which was also made inot a film this year. He is one of the authors where I read this one book of his and had to read everything else of his I could.
~verna