Becky's Ten Rules of Basic RA Service
1. Betty Rosenberg: “Never apologize for your reading tastes.”
A non-judgemental list of what you “should read"
2. Suggest don’t Recommend.
3. Everyone reads a different version of the same book.
4. Write down adjectives about what you read; plot you can find.
5. Read widely (at least speed read widely).
6. Read about books (RSS feeds).
7. Share what you read- with staff and patrons.
8. Never let a patron leave unsatisfied.
9. Get out from behind the desk.
10.Bridge the physical-virtual divide.
The 5 Resources You Cannot Live Without
Amazon: Plot summaries, author pages, possible read alikes, but most importantly, customer comments! 5 star and 1 star reviews are the most helpful. Treat customer reviews as patrons. GoodReads works similarly although you do not have access to the professional reviews like with Amazon.
NoveList: Newly improved. Your feedback welcome. Many things you need all in one place. [Full disclosure-- I write for them.]
KentDistrict Public Library’s What’s Next Database: Easy to retrieve and print lists of books in series order. Makes patrons happy. Brings them back!
Gnooks: When you are desperate…distract them.
All Readers.com: Although it is not a pretty site, no one else gives the frank sex and violence level information that their reviewers do.
Horror Story of the Week - ****This is the second in an occasional series of posts to help you get ready for Halloween.**** As I mention in the first post in this series, understandi...
1 day ago