RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Graphic Novels for Book Clubs

I am in full preparations mode for this month's BPL book discussion of Brooklyn by Colm Toibin in a few days.  This title also marks the start of our new lists of titles for the second half of 2010. (click here for the full schedule).

Despite my effort over the last few years, however, I have still not be able to convince our groups to read a graphic novel for book discussion. Frankly, I had all but given up trying. Until today that is.

Thanks to the people over at the always helpful Reading Group Guides, I found this article by Austin Public Librarian Bonnie Brzozowski, who runs a graphic novel book discussion group. Here she advocates for spicing up your group with a graphic novel.

Bonnie, I am bringing copies of your article to my group on Monday. And, this article inspired me enough to consider simply adding a graphic novel in the 2011 mix and just make them read it. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

I almost always recommend Ethel and Ernest by Raymond Briggs as a first graphic novel for adults. It's about Briggs' parents and the war years in England, and it's really moving.