Today, I wanted to compile some links from the past week that I feel are worth your attention:
- Stephen King's great essay from a new edition of Lord of the Flies as published in The Guardian. I need to remember to give this book out to adults more. After reading King's essay, I am inspired to read it again myself.
- Book Page has this cover story on 11 debut novels worth your time. Some of these novels may be on your shelf and are great suggestions to patrons who want something good and new, but don't want to wait on a long hold list.
- Book Page also posted this preview of the new Flavia de Luce mystery which is due out on November 1. Click here to read my reviews of the 3 previous books and other Flavia love.
- The United States is going to participate in World Book Night...April 23rd, 2012! Although the title has not been picked yet, I am already working on programming foe the evening. I'll keep you posted on details.
- Update on Kindle readers being able to use OverDrive from Early Word.
- Vote for your 10 favorite Science Fiction and Fantasy books on NPR Books. You can also scroll down to see the last 2 year's poll results on Beach Reads and Thrillers. Again, these lists are all a great place to go to find suggestions for patrons who just want "a good read."
- Still looking for a "summer reading" suggestion? RA Online has been keeping up an archive of every one else's lists here.
- Via my RSS Feed to The New Yorker's Book Blog, The Book Bench: a library which has designated a new genre... Hipster Lit. I have a few patrons to hand the list to immediately.
- Finally, from the rumor mill...Is Apple buying Barnes and Noble?