RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday Discussion: Fall 2011 Preview

The kids in Berwyn went back to school today, so I guess "Fall" is upon us. At the BPL RA desk, we have been busy preparing for the Fall rush of new titles.  As a result, I am already impatiently anticipating a few titles.

Here are some of the Fall 2011 releases that  I am most looking forward to:
  • I LOVE Haruki Murakami and his new book 1Q84 is coming out in October. Already a smash hit in Japan, this is the book I am most excited about.
  • Tom Perrotta is also a favortie author of mine and his new book (out 8/30) The Leftovers looks good.  It has a post-apocalyptic angle, and is already being made into an HBO series.
  • Readers of this blog (and my other horror one) know that I enjoy books with zombies, so I am cautiously optimistic about Zone One by Colson Whitehead.  I am not a huge Whitehead fan, but there is a lot of buzz on this title, and let's face it, if it has zombies and gets good reviews, I will read it.
  • As I have mentioned before, I am also a sucker for any book that has a circus in it, especially a particularly macabre one.  The Night Circus (9/13) by Erin Morgenstern fits the bill here, and it is getting great reviews
There are other Fall 2011 titles that look good, but the point of this post is to get a discussion going.  So, now it is your turn.  For today's Monday Discussion, let me know which upcoming books you are most excited about.

As always, you can enjoy (or join) past Monday Discussions here.

4 comments:

Jackie BPL Youth Services said...

I'm most excited about the upcoming release of a new series by Maggie Stiefvater (Mercy Falls trilogy) called The Scorpio Races coming in October, 2011.

I am also looking forward to Rick Riordan's second book in the The Heroes of Olympus series called The Son of Neptune which is also coming out in October, 2011.

But, I am most excited about Victoria Roth's new book Insurgent which is the second in the Divergent series. But, oh my, it isn't coming out THIS fall, but NEXT fall, 2012. Can I wait that long? Guess I'll have to.

Kimberly said...

I am also looking forward to 1Q84 and have really enjoyed the Advance Reader’s Copy I managed to see of The Leftovers. (Who couldn’t enjoy an author who names a character The Holy Prophet Wayne?) I think that those of us who work in Reader’s Advisory need to know that in November The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz will be available for all the fans of Sherlock Holmes – the first time the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has authorized a Holmes story. However the book I’m personally looking forward to is The Sisters by Nancy Jensen. This story tells us about two Kentucky sisters from 1927 to 2007 who were separated without understanding why. The author writes that a family incident caused her to question how one sister could erase another, as if she had never existed – what kind of offense or betrayal could have occurred? If you have a sister or a woman who is close to you as a sister is, you will want to know.

John BPL RA said...

I'm looking forward to being disappointed. I enjoy watching for books that are not coming out even though writers, publishers or both promised them. The final book in the Jason Lutes "Berlin" series is high on this list. I've been waiting for a sequel to Heavy Liquid which never happens. Anne Rice is supposedly going to come out with another vampire novel but so far? No way Jose. Also, is there anything more depressing than the return of a school year?

Anonymous said...

Mike BPL REF

The book I am looking forward
to coming out is 11/22/63 by
Stephen King. It is about a
time traveller who tries to
stop the Kennedy assassination.
I have only read one Steven
King book and very rarely read
science fiction, but this books
premise really intrigued me.