RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

New Intro to Nickel and Dimed

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in AmericaLater this week I will have my report on my book club's discussion of  Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson, but in the meantime I saw this article in The Millions talking about one of my book group's all time favorite titles, Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich.

With the recession in mind, Ehrenreich has written a new introduction to this powerful investigative journalism book. She went undercover and got minimum wage jobs, tried to live off her wages alone., and wrote about the experience.  The book elicited one of the most memorable comments from my group in its 10.5 year history, "Every 8th grader in America should be required to read this book."

Have you read it?  If not, head on over The Millions which has the link to text of the new introduction, read that and then head to your local library and check out the book.  If you have any interest in implications and consequences of the modern American service driven economy, you will not be disappointed.

No comments: