RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday Discussion: What Are You Thankful For? (2011 edition)

It is that time of year again, when we count our blessings.  Last year I ran this Monday Discussion where I listed what I was thankful for. I checked; it all still applies.


This year I want to spend a few moments thinking about it again, but with a different twist-- share with me the specific books or authors or formats or genres (you get the idea) for which you are thankful.

I will start.  I am thankful for much hyped books which turned out to be as good as advertised. For me this year that would include The Discovery of Witches, Swamplandia, The Night Circus (review forthcoming), and Before I Go To Sleep (review forthcoming).

I am also thankful for my old standby authors whose backlist titles I can fall back on when I need something good to read.  This year that included Tana French and Louise Penny.  And, my old standby favorites who continue to impress me with their newest books like Kate Atkinson, Stephen King, and Keith Donohue.

I am thankful for authors who are new to me and who will now become old favorites like Dave Zeltersman and Gillian Flynn.

I am thankful for awesome graphic novels without superheroes and of course horror (especially since unlike this time last year, I am not frantically finishing the book).

Finally, I am thankful that Amazon is allowing my library patrons to borrow ebooks on their Kindles because I was getting sick of telling them "No."

All links above lead you to my reviews where available.  This is also a small peek into some of my year end favorites to come next month.

Now it is your turn.  What books, authors, types of books, etc... are you thankful for this year?

You can follow past Monday Discussions here.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love books and am grateful that I was given an early introduction to them, but this year I have developed a great deal of appreciation for two non-print formats: my eReader that lets me cart around armfuls of books in one cover stashed in my purse and audiobooks that ease the hours and hours of time behind the wheel. So indescribably better than smashing my hand through news radio. So, I’m truly thankful for books that come in multiple formats and the friends who tip me off to the great “reads” and to the people who just want to talk about books with me!

John BPL RA said...

I echo your sentiment about Kindle. I'm thankful for graphic novel artists that still DRAW their work by HAND and use human colorists rather than computer-generated "artwork". I am also thankful for the careers of Joe Hill, Mira Grant and Gyles Daubeney Brandreth.

Mike said...

MIKE REF BPL

I am thankful for all the great
authors I have read and been
moved by and grateful that I
still have more of their books
to read. I am thankful and ex-
cited about all the new authors
I have yet to read the pleasure
of these new stories yet to
come. Finally, I am thankful
that from the time I was a child
books worked a spell on me that
I am still under to this day.