Some (not all) of the more memorable trends from 2011 (with links) were:
- eBooks and all the issues surrounding how libraries loan them
- Zombies still going strong
- Literary writers exploring genre fiction
- Steampunk goes mainstream
- Nordic Noir continues to gain in readership
Things I think (or in some cases, hope) will be trends in 2012 include:
[Please note: this list is to be read with sarcasm]
- Libraries increase their fight against the eBook publishers for more say in how we acquire and loan electronic books. Right now, we are all sitting back and taking it. I see cage match in our future.
- The number of series finally outpace standalone books meaning if your book doesn't have a sequel, I will have to weed it.
- People get sick of the cold and darkness of Nordic Noir and switch to the bright warmth of Caribbean Crime.
- Zombies, vampires, and werewolves are forgotten for a renewed interest in angels and cuddly animals. And just in time for my new book to come out, meaning no one will want to buy it.
Click here to follow past discussions.