RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday Discussion: YA and Youth Crossover Favs

Leading up to the release of the Hunger Games movie on Friday, I for today's Monday Discussion I wanted everyone to talk about their favorite books that are actually for kids or teens.

I have a few to share:
  • I was reminded at PLA of how much I like YA author Meg Rosoff.  Back in 2008 I read How I Live NowClick through and scroll down to read my review.  She has a new book coming out, There is No Dog. I passed on the ARC to the Youth Department.
  • It is the 50th anniversary of the publication of A Wrinkle in Time.  Many people I bring this up to mention that they read it at too young an age to have really appreciated it.  This is a common problem since advanced readers are often given the book early.  I have purposely made my daughter wait to read it.  But why not read it now, as an adult and rediscover its wonder?  Also, When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead which won the Newberry a few years ago was written as an homage to A Wrinkle in Time and is also excellent.
  • I have said it many times on this blog before, but I just love Shel Silverstein and cannot re-read his books too many time.  It is not possible.
This is just the tip of the iceberg of what I read and enjoy that isn't technically adult reading.  What about you?  For today's Monday Discussion, share your favorite crossover titles.

6 comments:

Kathy at BPL said...

I really liked "How I Live Now" also. Just finished "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green and it deserves all its hype. It is heartbreaking but surprisingly funny and has a tender love story at its heart. An unintended consequence - it also made me want to go back to Amsterdam. A side note about John Green (besides that I love him) everyone should checkout the video blog that him and his brother do together.
http://www.youtube.com/user/vlogbrothers/featured
They are smart and hilarious. I will also mention the YA book "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" by Sherman Alexie which is one of my all time favorite YA books.

Anonymous said...

I love YA! My recent faves are,"Same Sun Here" by Silas House and Neela Vaswani, an epistolary novel about two YA's who are assigned each other as penpals. Meena in the daughter of Indian immigrants and lives in NYC. River is the son of a coal miner and lives in KY. Awesome beautiful book. Also love the "Life as We Knew It," series by Susan Beth Pfeffer. The moon is knocked off course and human civilization as we now know it is permanently altered and the characters learn how to survive.

Anonymous said...

I love YA Lit! My recent faves are, "Same Sun Here," by Silas House and Neela Vaswani, an epistolary novel of penpal letters between Meena, a daughter of Indian immgrant parents living in NYC and River, the son of a coal miner in KY. Beautiful and moving book. I also love the "Life as We Knew It" series by Susan Beth Pfeffer where the moon is knocked off course by an asteroid and the characters must learn to survive in a strange new Earth.

John BPL RA said...

The Little Prince. When I was a kid so many people kept telling my parents that I looked like him that they finally bought me the book for my birthday. As an adult I've read countless philosophy books but it is still one of the most powerful tales of meaning, existence, and death.

Christi said...

This Monday Discussion is practically made for me!

The Hunger Games has made me a huge fan of all YA dystopian novels.

My favorites in this category, which incidentally also make great readalikes for The Hunger Games include:

Delirium by Lauren Oliver (great for those who enjoyed the romance angle of The Hunger Games while still getting that oppressive society feel)

Divergent by Veronica Roth (another good romance within Dystopian, also great world building and takes place in Chicago which for me is a plus)

Variant by Robison Wells (which actually is not centered around romance and instead has a creepy atmosphere, fascinating Lord of the Flies like premise, and a completely shocking twist)

I've enjoyed a lot of other YA titles lately, but so far, these are my favorites.

Jose said...

Big fan of YA, but my favorite book is the perks of being a wallflower by stephen chbosky.