RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Discussion: Rejuvenating Reads

With the Easter and Passover holidays and the early Spring here in Chicago, I have rejuvenation on the brain. Also, when I was working on my annotated list of Titanic books last week, I noticed that many of those books also had a rejuvenation theme; most were about how people moved on after surviving the sinking.

So as an antidote to the Disastrous Fiction display I mentioned last week (which goes up in the Library on 4/11), let's talk rejuvenation today.

A book I just finished (but have not written my review for yet) that popped immediately into my head was The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.  This novel is set in 1920s Alaska and is based on an old Russian folktale where a lonely, childless couple create a child out of snow.  The two main draws to this book are the amazing descriptions of the landscape and the theme of rejuvenation.  The novel reads like an old fashioned fairy tale itself.  While the ending is not happily ever after (which we are warned will happen multiple time throughout the novel), the ending is bittersweet and heartwarming, with the snow child being responsible for the rejuvenation of many characters.  I will have a full review soon.

But enough from me.  Monday's are all about you.  What book popped in your head when I ask for a "rejuvenating read?"  It can be like my suggestion, a title which is all about rejuvenation or may be it is a book that rejuvenated you when you read it.  Whatever the reason, share your thoughts.

For past Monday Discussions click here.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson. I bumped into this DVD while shelf reading and discovered there is an associated book, first published in 1938, but reprinted when the movie was released. Miss Pettigrew is rejuvenated, and in the process provided me with several laughs that rejuvenated me.

John BPL RA said...

The original graphic novel version of The Crow by James O'Barr jumps to mind. Although the theme of revenge overshadows the whole story, much of it is obviously influenced by Christianity. Specifically the Easter story. The striking black and white artwork is superb as well.

Anonymous said...

MIKE BPL REF

I recently finished Mr.and Mrs
Madison's War about the War of
1812 and how President James
Madison and his wife Dolley
faced the possible dissolution
of the United States after the
British burned Washington.
Though there was a great deal
of dissatisfaction among the
people with Madison's handling
of the war, his determination
and Dolley's ability to lift
the spirits of the citizens
made for a victory that led to
a renewal of the Spirit of '76
and a stronger nation.

Betty said...

Any of the Flavia deLuce mysteries lift my spirits remarkably. I remember vividly how delighted I was when I was reading the first one.