RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Audiobooks: Narrator-Author Teams

Readers of this blog know that I enjoy audiobooks.  If that is news to you, you can use this link to catch up.

One of the things I most enjoy is following a series on audio. Well, let me clarify, I enjoy that if the narrator is good and does not change.  For example, for me Simon Vance is Mikhail Blomkvist in the Stieg Larsson Millenium Trilogy.  Vance reads the entire series, every characater, and he does it very well, but in my mind he is Blomkvist.  And he always will be.


Even though I greatly enjoy following a good narrator through a series, I never gave much thought to what the authors thought about it.  I guess I should have.  They have even more invested in these heroes than I do (although, when lost in a great read, I cannot imagine anyone caring more about that book than me at that very moment).

As part of Booklist's ongoing coverage of Mystery Month, the Audiobooker looked in to this very issue. In a 2 part series entitled, Partners in Crime, she looked at 2 very successful narrator/author teams and asked them about their partnerships and how the audio enhances the author's work.  The introductions to each post are included below with links.


Charlaine Harris Johanna Parker: an audiobook author/narrator pair extraordinaire. It’s no mystery why audiobook series have such passionate followers – the Sookie Stackhouse audios are a prime example of the connection between the reader’s voice and the continuing characters. I had the pleasure of interviewing Ms. Parker about her voicing of the supernatural Southern Vampire mysteries, a perfect tie-in to Booklist’sMystery Month.
     Click here to read the interview.

Author Lee Child & narrator Dick Hill talk about the Jack Reacher series – such a perfect partnership that their audiobook producer calls them “Team Reacher.” I spoke with the two for my “Voices in My Head” Mystery Month column in Booklist, but couldn’t fit their entire conversation into the  page space. The conversation was so great, I wanted to share the complete interview for rabid fans of Childs’ high-octane thrillers.
     Click here to read the interview.

No comments: