RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday Discussion: Shocking Twists

This weekend I was reminded of how the big twist can still shock me, even when I know in my brain that a twist is coming.

Two examples are yesterday's Game of Thrones on HBO and last summer's big hit Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Me, I love the big twist.  I love how it makes me feel.  I get excited that the author "duped me."  I particularly love when I have been lulled into complacency and then the twist comes at me with such force that I am knocked for a loop.  For me it does not get any better.

But I also know there are readers out there who HATE the big twist. They get mad at the author for duping them. They feel used.  Others feel like the big twist is a cheap trick by the author to keep the story moving-- Lazy, they day.

So I put it to you today for the Monday Discussion.  Where do you stand on the issue of shocking twists?

For past Monday Discussions click here.

4 comments:

Christi said...

For me, it depends. I love twists if I'm reading suspense or psychological suspense, mystery, thriller or the like. I expect twists and I want them. I do not care for them as much when I'm reading a genre where I don't expect twists to be, or especially when the twist comes right at the end and negates the whole book that I just finished reading. I find that frustrating.

CrystalV said...

I really love it when I can be suprised by an author. I dislike it when I can figure out the ending early.

John, Librarian At Dawn said...

I love twist endings! You don't see them done as well as in the past, or maybe I'm just too wise to them now, but I do love them.

Rebecca said...

Oh I love, love, love twist endings. Especially when I don't guess them first. Very satisfying!