RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday Discussion: National Library Week


It is National Library Week.  So for today's Monday Discussion, let's share why we love the Library, as a worker or a patron.

I'll go first.

I love the library because, I can order every single book that even remotely interests me, have it show up in 3-5 days, and then read it or not, all without paying. If I did not have the library, I would be spending a lot of money buying too many books.

I love the library because I am surrounded by books.

I love working at the library because my job involves making people happy. I get to help people answer their questions (just today, I helped someone wade through the bureaucracy to get a death certificate from Texas). I bring joy to people by finding them the right book for their mood.

I love the library because it feels like home.

Now it's your turn.

Help me celebrate National Library Week by leaving a comment on why you love the Library.

For past Monday Discussions, click here.

3 comments:

John BPL RA said...

I have some very personal reasons for loving the library. Upon finishing school I soon realized that I did not want a career in teaching and was very distraught because there was little else I could do with my degree. I began working at the library and fell in love with it instantly. I will spare you any philosophical musings on the nature of "fate" and "destiny" but certainly there could be no better way in which for me to be employed. The pay may not be high, but the rewarding feeling one gets from genuinely bettering the community is priceless. I'm now in my fourteenth year of what I can only call my "dream job". Happy National Library Week!

Christi said...

I love the library because it was always a place I belonged. Sitting on the floor of the stacks, picking out new books, being part of a TAG team, eventually going to library school and now working in a library. These have always been "my people" and that's a major part of why I love the library besides the access to free materials.

Tara BPLteen said...

When I was in elementary and high school, I was the fat, weird one who always had her nose in a book. (I'm sure you all remember her.) At the library, it was different. I was still fat, of course, but I wasn't the weird one there; everyone had their noses in books. They understood the power of stories and the need to escape into them at times. I felt like I had found my people.

Now that I'm older, I'm still fat and weird, but I'm comfortable with it now. And I still love the library. As a library assistant, I get to spend my days surrounded by books and book-lovers. I read stories in Youth Services, play board games in the Young Adult room, and help pair awesome people with awesome books. I can geek out about a new series I started or express my utter anguish at the death of a favorite character and nobody says "Really? It's just a book." Because people here understand that there is no such thing as JUST a book. They are, after all, my people.