RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, October 13, 2014

RA for All Training with Bucks County Free Library

Today is the Columbus Day Holiday here in the US and many libraries are closed.  Some, like the Bucks County Free Libraries, are holding staff training all day.  And they invited me.

I am happy to be a part of their day as I will be appearing (on a 100 inch screen!) to present my very popular RA for All training:
From shelvers to directors, this program is aimed at any staff member in the library who interacts with patrons.  Being able to provide good RA service from any desk in the library will help staff communicate effectively and ensure satisfied patrons.  Using her "Ten Rules of Basic RA Service" as a guide, Becky will show you how to help any patron find their next good read.
I love this program because it is 2 hours of hands-on RA training and the set up we have will be fantastic.  Everyone can see me and I can see them. Until recently, I thought this was a program I could only do in person, but now, I am excited that I will be able to offer it virtually to more people.

Whether you are a part of today's training or not, this post is a reminder that my 10 Rules of Basic RA Service, which serve as the guide for this RA for All training program, are always available here for you to use for yourself and your staff. I have also ended this post with the rules themselves [but for the entire handout, go here].

Back tomorrow with 3 days in a row of horror novel reviews...

Becky's Ten Rules of Basic RA Service

1.   Betty Rosenberg: “Never apologize for your reading tastes.”
      A non-judgmental list of what you should read"
2.   Suggest don’t Recommend.
3.   Everyone reads a different version of the same book.
4.   Write down adjectives about what you read; plot you can find.
5.   Read widely (at least speed read widely).
6.   Read about books (RSS feeds).
7.   Share what you read- with staff and patrons.
8.   Never let a patron leave unsatisfied.
9.   Get out from behind the desk.
10.Bridge the physical-virtual divide.

No comments: