RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday Discussion: What Books Are You Giving As Presents This Holiday Season?

99% of the readers of this blog work in a library, so I don't think I am going out on a limb here to assume that many of you are buying people books for the holidays.

I thought we could all share ideas here to help each other with the Monday Discussion question: What Books Are You Giving As Presents This Holiday Season?

I'll go first.

For my mother-in-law who enjoys literary fiction and a Russian setting, I chose A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra. This was one of the best books I read this year [review soon].

For my father-in-law who loves a good mystery and appreciates a mix of the old, standard tropes with good characters and a modern setting, I chose the 2 Galbraith mysteries penned by J.K. Rowling.  I also listened to both of these this year and enjoyed them [review soon]. 

I also suggested books for family members to buy others including:
What about you? For today's Monday Discussion share the books you are giving as gifts this year.  Maybe you can help one of our fellow librarians pick a gift for someone on their list.

Best books discussions start next week.

For past Monday Discussions, click here.

2 comments:

Tara BPLteen said...

My immediate family is trying something new this year and we're doing the whole name-drawing thing. We used https://www.drawnames.com/ which has actually been working out pretty well. I drew my nephew's name and, in his wish list, all he had listed was "books" - no titles, no authors, no suggestions of any kind. *sigh* He is very particular about his fiction. I've tried the "I like this so you should too" approach in the past with mixed results. He's generally a big fan of complex, plot-driven, epic fantasy like "A Game of Thrones" and "The Name of the Wind."

So, this year, he's getting:
"Shadowmarch" by Tad Williams
"The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson
"Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb
"The Thief" by Megan Whalan Turner
"The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern

Ok, so the last one is from the "I like it so you should too" category, but still.

Hopefully, he'll like at least a few of them. *fingers crossed*

Betty said...

We have five grandboys ages 9-4, so I'm giving lots of books. For the 4 year old, The Book without Pictures (hilarious). For the 5 year old - It's hard to be five by Jamie Lee Curtis. For the other 5 year old - Sam & Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnet). For the 7 year old, Timmy Failure and for the 9 year old, A Wrinkle in Time.

I'm giving a couple of adults books, too -- The Martian (a great, fun read) and Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers (written in 1902 and supposed to be the first English spy novel)