RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

So Many Training Opportunities From So Many Different Perspectives

I am in the midst of a very busy few months of providing training to various libraries all over the country.  It is very exciting that so many organizations want to improve the RA skills of their staff. But it means that I am working around the clock updating existing programs and creating entire new ones from scratch.

You can go to my Recent Presentations page to see schedules, topics, and links to slides.

When I am in presentation creation mode I need to constantly remind myself to get out of my own head and touch base with the opinions of others. Yes, people want to hear what I think, but I am most useful as a trainer when I have considered the opinions of others before drawing my own conclusions.

Thankfully, it is very easy to stay up to date with the breadth of free webinar options available.

However, it is less easy to keep track of who is offering what and when.  So, since I am in the training prep mode, I thought I would pass on the links to what I think are the best, free webinar providers for training of library staff who work with leisure readers.

Now you can have the links all in one place. This also means that you have no excuse to put off training yourself any longer.  These are free and can be watched via archives on your own time if the live streams do not work for your schedule.

What, still don't think you need any training? [This is an attitude I unfortunately encounter regularly.]  To these people I say the following, "People pay me to train them, and I regularly attend webinars and go to trainings.  If I need to do it, you most certainly do too."

So, no more procrastinating.  Keeping your RA skills up to date is very important. Back in January I had a series of four posts where I talked about this at length, offering tips to help you get started with some self-directed learning.

Continuing education is one of the most fulfilling things you can do.  As you learn more, you gain more confidence, and your patrons are treated to better collections and service. Everyone wins.

Okay, I'm done lecturing and scolding. Here are the links as promised.

No comments: