RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Monday Discussion: What Are Your Summer Reading Plans?

Reminder: The Monday Discussion runs for the entire week. Comments are accepted until the next discussion begins.

Since this is the last Monday Discussion before Memorial Day, and the unofficial start of summer, I thought there was no better time than today to start talking about  summer reading plans.

Now I don't mean your Library's Summer Reading Program. No, we are all up to our eyeballs in getting that all rolled out.  I am thinking more calming thoughts.  What are your personal plans for reading this summer? After the blitz of SRP signups dies down in a few weeks.

Is there a particular book's release you are anticipating? Are you planning a vacation or some serious beach time and already thinking about what you will be reading then? Or, do you have a stressful summer coming up and need to find some calming books?

You know you are making reading plans. We cannot help but do it because we love reading and the first days of summer always elicit images of sitting outside with a tall drink reading.

I'll go first.  I always like to have a nice long, engrossing audiobook to listen to in the summer. It is great company as I am doing yardwork. Nothing makes weeding more pleasurable than listening to someone tell me a good story while I work. I have been saving Haruki Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage to listen to over the summer. I love Murakami, but in particular I love his work on audio (click here for proof), and have simply been waiting for yard work season so I can devour this one in fewer sittings. Interestingly, in yesterday's New York Times Book Review, Daniel Handler had this essay/review on appreciating Murakami in audio.  It was as if he was reading my mind. Now I am even more excited.

This summer I will also be participating in an ARRT Literary Book Discussion on The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez featuring a visit from Ms. Henriquez. [I will have another post on this with details on how you can join us soon.] This is a book that has been on my to-read list for a long while, so I am excited to have such a great reason to read it.

Otherwise, I hope to read a lot of books. With the staff shortages here at the BPL since November and a busy 6 weeks wrapping everything up as I transition from working at the Library to full time training and consulting, I have had very little free time to read just for me. I am missing it greatly. So, this summer, since I am going to only be working 1-2 days a week, my hope is simply to read, read, and read.

Now it is your turn. For today's Monday Discussion, share your summer reading plans.

For past Monday Discussions, click here.

3 comments:

John BPL RA said...

I just started True Blood and Philosophy: We Wanna Think Bad Things With You, which is part of the Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series. It analyzes the philosophy of the TV show. If it proves worthwhile I might check out some of the other titles in the series.

cdealba said...

This summer I definitely want to listen to a lot of audio books. I'm almost finished with my first one ever(Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding, read by Samantha Bond) and I love it. The book is really fun and light which served as a great contrast to the more serious darker print books I was reading. I think that will be my plan. If my audio book is dark, then my print book has to be light.

Tara BPLteen said...

Last summer, I logged 20 books. I'd like to beat that this summer and, more importantly, actually rate and review them on my Goodreads page for future reference.