Unfortunately, I find that there are many more lists for kids than adults. This troubles me because it is obvious given current events that many adults need to be reading books that embody the spirit and idea of Dr. King.
In order to help you help adult readers, I have compiled a few lists. I hope these help you put a good and timely read into your patrons’ hands in the coming days.
- Books about social justice via Writers Relief
- 13 significant books on civil rights via The Huffington post
- Martin Luther King: 12 essential reads for all ages via The LA Times
- Selma reading list via NYPL [broken up well by age level]
- MLK reading list via Cincinnati Public Library [also with age levels]
- 8 books that inspired MLK via Atlanta Blackstar
- MLK Day 4 books to consider and also 3 great books to read for MLK Day via WSJ [very good older lists]
- The Recommended Reading page from the MLK Institute at Stanford University
Take advantage of the fact that many of your patrons are off work today by making some connections with readers. These lists are a great ice breaker to start the RA conversation.