RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, September 1, 2017

Holiday Weekend Reading Suggestions Driven By You and You Alone

Many people will be telling you what you SHOULD read this holiday weekend, but none of those lists or people recommending the titles really care about what you WANT to read.

So today, as we go into the final weekend of summer, I pass on to you one of my favorite lists- “28 Books You Should Read If You Want To.

[This is from The Millions and I always have a link to it on my 10 Rules of Basic RA page- it’s in RULE 1.]

Why do I like it so much?

Because it is a list of ideas on where to find a reading suggestion. While the list has general directions, it has no specific titles. It gives you a starting off point and allows you to pick what you want to read. The whole point is that is has you think about what to read next from a new angle, one that allows you to be the center of the recommendation process.

Click through to see what I mean.

I use this list all of the time to help hard to assist patrons and myself [when I am in a rut]. I ask one of the 28 questions and I have NEVER not had success, even with the most challenging of patrons. I sometimes needed to use a handful of the questions here, but never have I used up all 28 in one RA transaction.

Have a great holiday weekend no matter what you may be reading. I’ll be back on Tuesday.

No comments: