RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

What I’m Reading: A Dozen Goodreads Reviews in Audio and Print

Today I have more links to my reviews of books the have appeared on Goodreads but not here on the blog. I periodically post the authors and titles here mostly so that they are searchable for both me and you. All of these titles were read in 2018.

The links go to my Goodreads review each of which have my three words and readalikes, although I have indeed the three words here in the post too.


I have really enjoyed putting my “non-paid” reviews on Goodreads and linking them here. First of all, I feel more open and casual about the way I write them on Goodreads. I don’t stress about making them perfect and I really focus on the appeal.

Second, indexing them here is important because I need to be able to pull them up here on the blog with a search. Some of you may have seen these reviews, when they posted on Goodreads, but this is their first appearance on the blog.

And third, these are the books I read on my own time, for myself and my own enjoyment, not because someone assigned them to me. And as you will see, one appeal factor that unites just about every book I pick for myself...character centered].

Read in Audio:
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti [Character Centered, Flashbacks, Suspenseful]
  • Borne by Jeff VanderMeer [Surprisingly Uplifting, Thought Provoking, Weird Fiction]
  • Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan [History From Female POV, Richly Detailed, Character Centered]
  • Pachinko by Min Jin Lee [Compelling, Character Centered, Saga]
  • There, There by Tommy Orange [Collage of Voices, Strong Sense of Place, Character Centered]
Read in Print:
  • The Power by Naomi Alderman [Tables Turned, Thought Provoking, Dramatic]
  • Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward [Character Centered, Stylistically Complex, Heartbreakingly Beautiful]
  • I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara [Haunting, Compelling, Journalistic]
  • Dread Nation by Justina Ireland [Character Centered, Compelling, Moving]
  • The Buffalo Soldier by Maurice Broads [Steampunk, Story About Stories, Engaging]
  • All Systems Red by Martha Wells [Intense First Person, Robots With Emotions, Snarky] 
  • Florida by Lauren Goff [Nuanced, Strong Sense of Place, Unsettling]

No comments: