RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

June is Audio Books Month for Listen to This Podcast All About It

Now that we are back in the swing of a regular blogging schedule post-ALA, I didn't want to forget my annual reminder that June is Audio Books month.

Yes, I know the month is about to end. But as readers here on the blog know, I love audio books all year long. I post about audio book resources and note which books I have read in audio in my reviews, including commentary on the narration, all year long.  Click here to access all of my posts tagged "Audio Books" in reverse chronological order.

Also before I get to the meat of this post, I also know that many of you encounter the attitude among your co-workers and patrons that audio books don't count as "reading." I am here to tell you that opinion is completely wrong and there is no agree too disagree on this one. I explain myself in this post, but quickly, you are consuming the story in both instances. Also not allowing audio to count as reading is very ableist. We all take information into our brains in different ways. For some there is an obvious reason [poor eye sight, dyslexia], but for others, it is simply a better way for them to receive information.

For example, for me, fantasy and mysteries work better in audio. For fantasy it is because I get bored of all the details when reading and skim, but skimming all of the details of the world means I end up not liking the story as much. Fantasy is all about world building. However, when I listen I love being told the details and letting them wash over me. For mysteries, I don't enjoy solving the mystery along with the investigator, so again, the details that the author is required to have so that readers could solve the mystery, annoy me. But tell me a mystery story, and I am hooked.

Also, as a professional reader, I can read twice as many books by including audio. I read while I am doing dishes, laundry, exercising, driving, etc.... Anywhere I couldn't read a book, I am reading via audio.

Enough about that.

Today I wanted to point you to a brand new episode of one of my favorite library podcasts, Three Books from the Ela Area Public Library in Lake Zurich, IL. I have talked about why I love this podcast here, but the main reason is that they bridge the physical virtual divide with this podcast by purchasing a copy of every book that is mentioned so that the virtually accessed podcast is also a physical collection of books, graphic novels, audio, etc...

For Audio Book month they have Heather Booth, the Booklist Audio Editor talking all things audio, reviews, and libraries. Click here for details or see below for the basics.

Now go find an audio book to listen to.

Click here to access podcast and show notes


SHOW NOTES

Three Books is Ela Area Public Library’s podcast series where our hosts, Becca and Christen, chat about three popular/favorite books. Booklist’s Audiobook Editor and all around amazing librarian Heather Booth talks about book creation as an ecosystem, being read to and how that has fed into her experience and passion for audiobooks, and more. 
00:00:34                   Meet Heather Booth             
00:03:57                   Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina Garcia
00:11:06                   Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas by Lillian and Russell Hoban
00:19:11                   Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett (narrated by John Lee)
00:32:03                   Heather’s reviews for Booklist
00:36:17                   Favorite Audiobook Narrators
00:38:41                   Recommending Audiobooks
00:54:52                   Bookish Quote
Show notes can be found at: eapl.org/threebooks

Three Books Social Media:
Email: threebookspodcast@gmail.com
Twitter - @threebookspod

No comments: