RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, July 10, 2020

Reading At The Desk: Yes, We Do That Here-- A Guest Post by Christen Wiser from Ela Area [IL] Public Library

While attending the Library Love Fest Adult Book Buzz yesterday [link to the video will be here], people in the chat were talking about how to write a policy that allows staff to read at the desk.

That made me think of my colleague, Christen Wiser, and the work she has done on this front. I offered to connect her to people with questions and quickly realized that there are many of you who are starting to tackle this issue.

While Christen never wrote an official policy, below is her argument for why they allow reading at the desk at her library and how they make it an active part of their award winning RA service. I am sharing  her "essay" with her permission and passing on her hope that it can help you make the argument for staff being able to read at the desk at your library a reality. 

____________________________________

Reading at the desk: Yes, we do that here.

My name is Christen Wiser. I’m the head of Popular Materials at Ela Area Public Library in Lake Zurich, IL. I lead a combined information and readers services desk that primarily serves adults and teens. It is staffed by part time information desk assistants and a small group of librarians. A few years ago, we were facing a conundrum. We process passports at the Info Desk. The applicant load overwhelmed the desk, choking out other services. We worked with the State Department and the Illinois Library Association to encourage other libraries to offer passport services in Illinois to relieve the pressure on our desk. It worked! Huzzah!

But a different issue emerged. The traffic at the desk slowed down. Now we actually had time for readers’ advisory! But patrons who always associated us with passports didn’t realize they could ask us for books...so they didn’t. The desk needed a rebrand and we needed to retrain our community -- and our staff -- to this new reality.

We started with training staff. We hosted Becky Spatford for sessions of RA for All and Booktalking Your Way to the Friendliest Library in Town. Fantastic! Staff were on board. But we still needed to get patrons to associate our desk with books. And my staff still needed something to do on desk during slow periods. I’m not a fan of creating busy work. It’s work to create more work. That has to be some form of managerial torture. But I really struggled with a solution.

How do our values get in the way of problem solving? How did this lead to reading on the desk? The breakthrough came after I attended ​Elevate Illinois Libraries Leadership Program​ in 2018. Dr. Adam Goodman asked us a question, which formed a kernel for me. I don’t remember his exact words, but to paraphrase: How do our values get in the way of solving problems?

My problem involved solving the pacing issue at my desk. I valued always looking available and welcoming at the desk. Reading at the desk felt opposite to that. It sent, I felt, a negative message. It didn’t look good to taxpayers and stakeholders. Staff would ignore patrons or look too busy to help. This wasn’t an optimal use of their time. All the arguments. You’ve heard them. You’ve argued them. So have I. But asking that one question really flipped this philosophy on its head and I began to regard reading at the desk as a solution. Here are a few ways my perspective changed.

Modeling behavior
As I said, my desk needed to rebrand. We wanted patrons to know what we do and how we can help them. A book in hand suggests...we can help with books! Plus, we want our patrons to read. We know they come into the library for many reasons: to use a study room, print documents, scan photos, attend storytime, etc. But libraries are still a book forward institution and we believe reading is a pleasure and a right. Let’s model that behavior to every person who comes through the door.

Building a community around books
My staff want to work. They want to keep occupied. They are curious and intelligent and want mental stimulation. It’s difficult in their position, because the majority of them are part time assistants without additional duties like collection development, committee work, or programming. If a patron isn’t standing in front of them or on the phone, then they don’t have a lot else to do. And have you ever noticed how the culture sours when it’s slow? That’s usually when the drama and gossip starts. I’m just saying! Allowing them to read at the desk was a decision to work with staff rather than against them. I prefer flow to resistance. They want to read at the desk without feeling like they have to look over their shoulder to see if I’m coming. I want that too. Having a positive focus, such as a good book, really improves morale because it minimizes the perils of ennui.

I can’t control the flow of patrons into the library. But I can allow staff to occupy slow periods by picking up a book or a magazine or newspaper. It invites patrons to ask them questions or start a conversation around the book. I love when I hear, “Oh! I read that book last week. Tell me what you think of it? Have you also read...?” Reading on the desk helps us build relationships with our community around books! And it helps staff to learn more about books, which leads into my next point.

Professional Development
It is surprising to me that in an institution where we expect staff to be knowledgeable about popular culture, even make it a requirement on job descriptions and review documentation, that we do not make space for this kind of professional development during work hours. Libraries provide CPR training, sexual harassment training, fire drills, etc. during work hours. We wouldn’t dream of making them do that unpaid. But we question whether or not we should allow staff to read at the desk. What will the taxpayers think? What will the board think? But we don’t question whether staff should consume popular materials, as required for their positions, at home and unpaid. Explain to me the ethics there. Yes, those of us who are credentialed librarians “expected that” when we signed up for this profession, but it still doesn’t make it ethical. In these litigious times, I truly believe libraries need to take a serious look at this issue. When it comes to unpaid work, courts will inevitably favor the employee.

As employers, libraries need to change the view on reading at work...as not work. When staff read at the desk, it is not a waste of tax dollars. They are doing the job they are paid to do while meeting the requirements of their positions. Reading at the desk gives them the opportunity to create depth and breadth for their readers’ advisory skills. If a patron or stakeholder raises concerns, it is perfectly appropriate to state that reading is a requirement of the position. When they say, “it must be nice to have a job where you can read all day.” Yes, yes, it is. But I have to say, these comments are far and few between. In fact, I’ve never heard them spoken to someone actively reading.

Setting Expectations
I don’t want to sidestep one more concern about reading at the desk. I felt it myself. Concerns about staff accidentally ignoring patrons or looking too busy are both valid. But they are not insurmountable. There is a simple solution, one that we should employ as managers regularly. I spent time with staff laying out expectations. For this to be successful, we have to be aware of the patrons entering our space. We have to look *and be* available. Proactive customer service is one of our standards that we literally have framed and mounted in our staff hallway. The RUSA guidelines for providing excellent reference service doesn’t fly out the window because we’re at a cliffhanger. A bookmark is a handy tool for these moments. Patrons come first. Period. Laying out the expectation along with some behavioral coaching is something we need to do regularly with our public desk staff regardless. In this case, training is a simple solution to making sure staff and patrons are happy.

In addition to training, we created an “Ask me what I’m reading” campaign for our desk staff to help bolster this expectation. Staff were provided with signage, pins, and bookmarks inviting patrons to engage them while they read. It’s a concept that we’ve seen out in library land and bookstores. And patrons do ask!

In summary, allowing reading at the desk created a positive solution to a challenging situation. It helped our desk build community and foster a joy of reading for themselves and for our patrons. Reading at the desk allowed them to hone their required advisory skills. And it channeled restless energy into positive outlet during downtimes at the desks. The concerns that are raised about reading at the desk have fairly simple solutions and is truly a positive use of tax dollars and staff time.

No comments: