RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, April 16, 2021

RA for All Roadshow Visits Reaching Forward [Yesterday and Today]

Yesterday and today was Part 1 of the Illinois Library Association's Reaching Forward conference

"Part 1?" you ask. Just like many things in our world these days Reaching Forward had to pivot and it looks a little different now.

Let me back up a bit though because the history and mission behind the entire Reaching Forward conference is important to share, especially because not all of you live here in IL.

Reaching Forward is a long standing conference for library workers. While professional librarians won't be turned away, this is a conference that is always focused on and geared toward everyone BUT the librarians at a library. I love that we have this conference and have been a supporter of it for many years.

It also used to be presented as two distinct and unconnected conferences, one called Reaching Forward South and the other just Reaching Forward but presented in Rosemont [next to O'Hare Airport]. Last year, I was invited to RF South in person and was going to present 4 sessions [1 for each time slot]. I was excited to work with my colleagues further south. However, that conference set for Spring 2020 was cancelled. I agreed to contribute to whatever form it took for 2021 immediately.

Well, that form is what we began yesterday when I presented RA for All: Flip the Script and Think Like a Reader and Booktalking Your Way to the Friendliest Library in Town and will continue this morning when I offer Demystifying Genre and Actively Anti-Racist Library Service to Leisure Readers.

I am a bit embarrassed as it looks like I took over the conference, but I am also excited. All 4 programs are updated and the last one is BRAND NEW. It is part of the work I am doing with Robin Bradford as outline here. 

And then there is still the RF Part 2. That is on May 7th, the date when the Reaching Forward near Chicago would have taken place in person. This is also part of that new form. The organizers of Reaching Forward who use to put on separate conferences, have combined forces and are offering all 3 days of content for only $50.  It is one of those good things to come from the pandemic and I hope this unification sticks into the future.

My presentation for May 7th is also brand new: Peek Behind the Admin Curtain: Trustee Secrets All Library Staff Need To Know with Joe Filapck. Details on that program are here. But I will have slides and more about that program on May 7th. For now, you can use the links above to access the slides for my 4 presentations over the last 2 days no matter where you live.

In fact, you can also follow the conference and see what we were talking about yesterday, today, and on May 7th on Twitter with #RFIllinois2021.

And if you want me to come to your virtual state library conference, it is easier [and cheaper] than ever because I can do it from my living room. Contact me for rates, programs offered, and availability. I am also starting to be asked to attend some possible in person events this fall. I will be fully vaccinated by next week and I am entertaining offers to appear in person beginning in September. 

No comments: