RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

RA for All Roadshow Visits Pierce County [WA] Library System and Blog Adjustments

I have a lot of presentations this month and while I used to have a separate post for each one here on the blog, I am not going to do that anymore. If you want to see my schedule and/or slides from a specific presentation, you can always turn to my Recent and Upcoming Presentations page where I list every thing I have done for the previous 6 months and what I currently have scheduled with one click.

However, last week, and continuing today, I started a new contract with Pierce County Library System in Washington that I thought was worth sharing with all of you as we navigate a challenging continuing education landscape in the midst of a lingering pandemic.

We have set up 4 months of virtual trainings with learning extensions between sessions. Here is our schedule with links to the January slides:

  • January: RA for All: Flip the Script and Think Like a Reader 
  • February: Booktalking Your Way to the Friendliest Library in Town
    • Thursday 2/3  and Wednesday 2/9 
  • March: Demystifying Genre
    • Thursday 3/3 and Tuesday 3/8  
  • April: Actively Anti-Racist Service to Leisure Reader
    • Thursday 4/7  and Tuesday 4/12
.
I have given the first talk, but before that I had multiple planning meetings with the team in charge of the program. I have to say, so far it seems like it is going well. The leaders are very invested in making this a worthwhile experience and the staff are very engaged in the learning.

After posting this schedule a few months ago, another library contacted me about creating something similar for their system. That multi month training program begins this week as well. They are a different library on the other side of the country, as a result, the training program we have created is different. In fact, I think it important to point out, even though I give praams with the same title often, every single one of my programs is updated each time I give it AND personalized for the specific needs of the client.

On top of these monthly trainings, the next 6 weeks bring new clients all pursuing basic RA training to begin their year plus the regular monthly anti-racist programs that Robin Bradford and I provide. 

2022 is starting off as a big year for virtual RA training, even more busy than 2021. 

Why I am telling you all of this? A few reasons.
  1. I like to keep my readers abreast of all the different ways I provide training
  2. I used to use up a regular posting spot for most training programs, but with just about everything being virtual now, I am able to physically be more places, so I have more live appearances. I don't have the slots to do that AND it is not worth your time to see the same slides over and over again.
  3. Even though more libraries are hiring me, I know that the most of you get the majority of your learning from me via my blog posts. I want to make sure my content is worth your time. No matter how busy I get presenting, I still want this website to be a top notch training resource, not just a repository for slides.
So please remember to stay up to date on my latest presentations via the Recent and Upcoming Presentations page, I promise to post slides when something has been overhauled or is new. For example, in February, the Booktalking program for PCLS will receive its largest revision in a few years, so I will post those slides with a discussion of the changes I made.

As always, I am open to your ideas for this blog. Please contact me with what you would like me to cover or to share some awesome things you are doing at your library. I am always up for showcasing library workers here with a guest post. 

No comments: