RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

What I'm Reading: First Three Books of 2022 are From 2021 Best Lists

As usual, I have begun my year with some of the "best" books from the year before which I had not read yet. I do this every year; I even have a category for it in my year end person best list. From 2021's final post:

Best Book From 2020 Best Lists That I Read in 2021Caste: The Origin of our Discontent by Isabel Wilkerson [thought provoking, engrossing, conversational and well researched]

Why do I do this? Because there are always books I miss. No one can know about and or read every book. As the year end best lists start coming out, I have a chance to digest all of the titles that might interest me, and then I flag a few to read early in the year. For me it is a great way to start the year off with some titles I may have missed, but which are still a great read.

In the case of the first book in the list below, I even used one of the resources I had been posting about [here] to identify a title to try, and it was my favorite of the three I read!

Doing this is fun for me, but it is also a reminder to myself that a good read is a good read, no matter when it came out or when I encountered it. I love starting the year off so intentionally and with a focus on capturing the joy of reading. Also, since most of my reading is assigned for review, I relish the chance to read for just me. It might not be your thing, but I thought sharing why these were my first reads would be as helpful as the reviews themselves.

Below are the titles of those three books, the "three words" I noted, the format I read, and a link to my detailed, appeal based, Goodreads review.

  • The Trees by Percival Everett [uncanny, open ended, thought-provoking]
    • Print
  • The Sentence by Louise Erdrich [darkly humorous, moving, compelling]
    • Print
  • Matrix by Lauren Groff [mystical, strong sense of place, character centered]
    • Audio

No comments: