RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

How to Evaluate Audio Books via Teen Services Underground

I love audiobooks and when I review them I always note now the narration added to the story. But even as a long time listener and book reviewer, I am still never sure how to evaluate audiobooks. Well, that's not 100% accurate. I do understand, but it is with so much less confidence than I have for when I am reviewing print.

When I read a print book I know exactly how to evaluate the storytelling, characterization, tone, and frame. After years of practice, I can assess what the books does best and to which readers it would most appeal, while also being able to articulate all of that easily.

But with audiobooks, I still struggle. I know if I liked the narration or not. I can tell if I think for me, as a reader, if it worked better in audio than print. I can tell if the production is of solid quality, But, why and how? I struggle with articulating all of it.

I tend to use the reviews of others and resources like AudioFile to help me sort things out. I see which reviews loved that audiobook and those who were meh. I compare reviews of leisure readers from Audible to professional reviews from AudioFile. I then think about my own experience and see if I can draw parallels to others.

But this has always felt unsatisfying. I feel so unprofessional and ill prepared every time I review and audiobook. 

I am always on the look out for more information about how to evaluate audiobooks.

That's how I found, "I'm All Ears: Evaluating Audiobooks" from Teen Services Underground. [Yes I understand the irony that I found this article about listening while on "the look out."]

What I like about this piece is that it gives all of us some useful questions to ask ourselves as we evaluate the audiobooks we are reading for ourselves. 

Here is one example:

Is the performance dynamic? Does the reader express character emotions authentically? Do they vary their pitch, pace, or tone to match the story

There are a series of these questions. They are great! I am going to ask myself every time I review an audiobook from now on. 

For more posts by me, including reviews, on audiobooks, click here.

No comments: