At the BPL RA desk we have 2 mantras:
- Never let a patron leave unsatisfied
- Try to never say "no."
Here are some of my other tried and true examples of good customer service: with links to the BPL's examples (where applicable). All of these have the same result...satisfied patrons:
- Listen to patrons
- Remember names
- Print out lists for later
- Treat phone patrons the same as those in library
- Take reserve-offer another book for today
- Call other libraries to pull and hold books for your patrons
- Offer homebound/home delivery of books
- Holds Without Hassle
- Leave out return carts for browsing: patrons love it
- Have chairs to sit in and/or places to put books down
- Keep shelves neat and clean-- Weed!
- Keep catalog records accurate
- Offer lots of lists--everywhere! In building and on the web [Click here, here, and here for examples of lists that can be found in both places @ the BPL]
- Anticipate popular trends; be prepared for alternative options on heavy holds (we updated our Urban Fiction list as Precious was becoming popular)
Now stop reading this and get out there and help some patrons.