When I started the class blog I was driven by the desire to share the great RA work our students were doing each and every week. Just the wealth of information, readalikes, and searchable appeal terms that are now accessible to anyone through the posting of their weekly annotations is worth the blog's existence. And no, the annotations are not perfect, but they are clearly labeled as being by students, and as a group, they are becoming a valuable RA resource.
However, adding the Reading Map Archive to the blog was for purely selfish reasons. I wanted to make sure I had access to these maps long after the students had moved on. But see for yourself below-- we have 28 great maps as of right this minute and that number will only grow. Each semester more students attempt a reading map as one of their 2 big projects (they have 5 choices).
For the record, our reading map assignment is based on this article by Neal Wyatt in Library Journal (11/2006). Thanks to Neal for leading the way.
So, here is the list, directly copied from the class blog. Click on one and start your virtual journey through a book. Also, use them to help identify readalikes or suggestions for you or your readers:
- Twilight by Colleen
- The Watchmen by Michelle K.
- A Great and Terrible Beauty by Sarah
- Sandman by Mike
- Plainsong by Anne
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Katy
- The Yiddish Policeman’s Union by Marissa
- The Awakening by Allison
- Pride and Prejudice by Elizabeth
- Graphic Novels by Jill
- Fabletown by Chris
- Sookie Stackhouse by Christine
- Julie and Julia by Madeline
- Johnny Got His Gun by Chris
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Russ
- Year of Wonders by Maggie
- American Psycho by Anne
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Elizabeth
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Cris
- Shop Class As Soulcraft by Jason
- Big Stone Gap by Jessica
- Ballads of Suburbia by Shannnon
- War for the Oaks by Bethany
- High Fidelity by Kris
- The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao by Zach
- The Time Traveler’s Wife by Christina
- The National Parks by Elizabeth
- American Gods by Amanda