RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Discussion: Death Bracket Preparation-- Crime Fiction

I'm back from vacation and ready to begin posting daily again.

It's Monday and I am raring to go with another Monday Discussion, but this one is pretty huge.  Today I want to do Crime Fiction.  Again, I want popular, living and still publishing authors to consider adding to the mix for our Death Bracket,  Click here for the full explanation.

Crime Fiction encompasses many genres.  Here is the definition I have written and will be using:
A crime story is defined by its plot. These are novels in which a crime is committed, someone investigates the crime, and some resolution to the investigation is reached by novel’s end. Not all crime fiction ends with the criminal coming to justice, but the reader will always finish a crime novel knowing whodunit. The crime genres are for readers who enjoy compellingly paced stories with investigative elements and protagonists with whom they can identify. While not all crime fiction is overtly violent, the general trend is toward grittier and more graphic descriptions. Crime fiction includes the genres of Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, and Psychological Suspense.
Okay, here I go.

Of course here at the BPL we love Gillian Flynn (the video of her appearance will be up tomorrow).

I also want to mention Alan Bradley and Louise Penny in traditional  mystery, Kate Atkinson and Tana French in suspense, and James Rollins, Iris Johansen and Daniel Silva in Thriller.

So have at it.  Start throwing out authors.

For past Monday Discussions, click here.


4 comments:

John BPL RA said...

I have to add a couple graphic novel crime stories that are beyond superb. The Sin City series by Frank Miller. Also, the Parker series by Darwyn Cooke.

Kimberly said...

I had to think about this overnight because as you said at the beginning of the post, this category is huge. I am truly surprised that this wasn’t broken into Mystery as one category and Thriller as another, and even halved, there are so many sub-genres this would still be huge.
Having said that, I think I’d like to try these:
Traditional mystery: Michael Connelly and Julia Spencer-Fleming
Thriller: Joseph Finder and Dennis Lehane
Suspense: Laura Lippman and Karin Slaughter
Psychological Thriller: Stephen White and Gillian Flynn, but Chevy Stevens, too!
Narrowing the choices here has been a greater challenge than I knew it would be.

ckubala said...

Psychological thriller- S.J. Bolton
Mystery - Julia Spencer-Fleming, Nevada Barr
I love Dennis Lehane but really don't know where to genre him. There's suspense, mystery, and just good fiction.

ckubala said...

Psychological thriller- S.J. Bolton
Mystery - Julia Spencer-Fleming, Nevada Barr
I love Dennis Lehane but really don't know where to genre him. There's suspense, mystery, and just good fiction.