RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Monday Discussion: Thankful Edition

Today is the annual Monday Discussion where I ask you to tell me what you are thankful for in reference to your reading life.

I'll go first.  I am thankful for happy surprisesAs you saw in my review of 11.22.63, I could not believe how much I adored that book.  I was really reading it because I felt I HAD to, but it was about as perfect a story as I have ever read. I am thankful for the skill of authors to create such wonderful stories that allow me to escape into another world.

I am thankful for happy accidents.  As readers of the blog know, I began talking to Gillian Flynn back in 2011 about appearing at the Berwyn Public Library.  And by the time Gone Girl came, not only was the book great, but it also was the big surprise best seller of the year, and was Number 1 on the NYT Bestaeller list the week we had her come to our library. Click here to access the video of her visit.

Finally, I am thankful for the patrons of public libraries everywhere, but specifically those of the Berwyn Public Library. I am thankful that they cherish the library. I am thankful that they support the library with their tax dollars, their extra donations, their time, and just their kind words.  I am thankful that I can be there to help them with their requests both small (a good book to read) and big (help in difficult times). I cannot imagine a better job than the one I have.

Now it is your turn.  What are you thankful for in regards to your reading and/or library life?

For past Monday Discussions, click here.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

I am thankful for bloggers who talk about trends and tools and timely tomes! Thank you, Becky, for taking the time to make this particular blog a useful and meaningful experience.

Betty said...

I'm grateful for engrossing fiction that helps take one's mind off the less than great and positive events in our lives.

Kathy at BPL said...

I am thankful for a job where I get to read and talk about books. And for the co-workers, friends and patrons who also love to talk about books.

John, Librarian At Dawn said...

I am thankful for the library as a preservation tool. Many times I've looked for out of print books or older editions. Book stores do not have them. They are often not even available online or if they are, they're expensive. Libraries are always the best place to look. Even obscure, original editions turn up if you search hard enough.

I'm also thankful for what I can only describe as my dream job. I get to work with the books I love in an intelligent, low-stress, virtually recession proof scenario. I get to make a difference in a community that appreciates and utilizes a priceless service. While I may never get rich doing it, the downsides are few and the benefits are countless. I love libraries!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for all the people who use the library a lot and who make up the character of the library. I am thankful that we are available for people to use as a research area and as a social area. Happy Thanksgiving!
Leanne