RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Upcoming Online and FREE RA Training of Note

First let's start with the specific.  Booklist is having their annual Mysteries and Thrillers Webinar on April 29th.  It is always one I eagerly await each year, but this year, since I am supervising the Crime Fiction Genre Study, I am going to be paying special attention.

Click here to register for free and to see the other webinars they are offering.  Also, click here for access to past webinars through the archive. Again it's free and it's librarians and publishers sharing information.  You need to be a part of this.

The second training announcement is more broad, in a good way.  Please see this press release about the next upcoming RUSA CODES Conversation:

++++++++++++++
Ask Us (the 500) Anything: An Open, Free-for-All, Forum on Anything Related to RA

April 22-23, 2014

The success of these CODES Conversations has gathered a community of over 500 people who participate in or monitor the two-day discussions on readers’ advisory services. One of the great attractions of the conversation is the way participants share ideas and their own experience in providing RA services. For this next discussion, we are opening the floor to all 500 and will host an expansive version of a Q&A session on RA. Ask us (all 500 of us) anything. Pick a topic; raise a question; and the rest of us will chime in, sharing our wealth of experience and practices with all. Some of the people who will participate include (I thought we could list a few of us from the committee and then some who are not – if we can email and find out if x,y,z were going to be on – and who should x,y,z be?)

Any question is the perfect question but to get the ball rolling we thought of some starter ones:

What are some no-fail sure-bet suggestions?
How do you talk with a reader who has no idea what she wants to read?
How do you talk about a book you thought was awful?
How do you incorporate RA into staff evaluations?
What makes a review useful?
What are the best sources for keeping up with new titles and genres?

This free, moderated discussion is open to all—just subscribe to the discussion at http://lists.ala.org/sympa/subscribe/codes-convos, then follow and contribute (or lurk!) as you wish.
CODES Conversations are focused electronic conversations on current issues facing collection development and readers’ advisory librarians—or anyone interested in those areas.  
How to unsubscribe: 
Go to http://lists.ala.org/sympa/sigrequest/codes-convos. Put in the email address you used to subscribe and hit the unsubscribe button.

++++++++++

Look, I know there are some people who try to participate in these conversations and can't stand all of the emails, but I have to say, I have never been disappointed by one of these conversations.  I have come out of every single one having learned something and it was well worth the barrage of messages.

And this new one...it's like a dream come true!  I love these opportunities for people to bring their questions about anything.  As a presenter and trainer myself, I sometimes feel boxed in by the constraints of the prepared talk.  I would much rather someone bring me in to facilitate a sharing of ideas session like this one. I like to share my thoughts, yes, but I also love to hear what other people have to say, especially if it challenges my opinion.  That's the only way to grow, learn, and improve.

I am quite excited to see this conversation.  I am going to try very hard to participate.  But at the very least, I will get a better sense of the issues you all are thinking about by following along and I can tailor my posts and programs to your actual needs after this.

I highly recommend both of these RA training opportunities. Hope to [virtually] see you there.

No comments: