RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday Discussion: Your Go-To Gift Book for a New Baby

Today's Monday Discussion is a repeat from a bunch of years ago, but since my baby sister recently had a baby [and a bookish one at that; her name is Harper Lee], I thought I would revisit this popular question.

When buying a books for a new baby, what is your go-to choice.  Come on, you are all library people.  You know you have a go-to gift book for a baby.

I'll go first.

I always buy every new baby of friends and family Where is the Green Sheep? by Mem Fox.  Why? It is a fun book of opposites, with fantastic pictures that makes for a great read aloud from birth until age 5.  Plus, it has just the right amount of silly.  I also choose this title because it is not obvious like Good Night Moon, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, or a Pigeon Book.  These are books others often buy for new babies so I try to stay away from those. Nothing is worse for a new mom than having to go tot he store to make a return.

So what about you?  For today's Monday Discussion what's your go-to book for a new baby.

For past Monday Discussions click here.

13 comments:

Jennie said...

Global Babies, published by the Global Fund for Children is my go-to.

Others I like are the World Treats series by Sanger and Big Dog Little Dog books by Pikley.

Kathy at BPL said...

I LOVE "Where is Green Sheep?" also. But the book I always get is the board book of "Hippos Go Berserk" by Sandra Boynton. It is the cutest counting book and it has hippos and the word berserk in it. Amazing.

Elizabeth said...

On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman is my go-to choice. The illustrations are absolutely stunning.

John BPL RA said...

The Pop-Up edition of Peter Pan with the big paper pirate ship!

Amelia said...

I've been big on the Cozy Classics, especially the Jane Austen titles.

CTurner said...

Brown bear, brown bear

Tara BPLteens said...

For a newborn, I tend to go for the classics of baby lit: Where the Wild Things Are, Harold and the Purple Crayon, The Very Hungry Caterpillar...

For an older kid (one who has already exhibited some preferences), I go for something more individualized.

Unknown said...

I like to "That's not my ____" (monkey, prince, baby, etc.) books. They're fun to touch, chew on and read!

Betty said...

I love the Spot books by Eric Hill. They're great for the very little ones and even better for toddlers. My grandkids just loved Spot's First Picnic, especially.

Emily B said...

Love You Forever, Guess How Much I Love You and Runaway Bunny. I also love any Frog and Toad books, as well as Mouse Tales.

Amy Hall said...

A Boynton book almost always makes the cut . . . though we tend to "But not the Hippopotamus" because it has a punch line. Also "Dear Zoo" with its flaps and animals being not right pets is great. And we do "Where's Spot" and boast that it features baby's first plot twist -- I really didn't see that turtle coming!

Christi said...

I also LOVE to give Sandra Boynton books. Moo Baa La La La was my favorite as a kid.

I also give the Pigeon books often. And I've been giving a book of Baby Faces to a lot of new parents as well.

Rebecca said...

Not for the baby, but for the parents: Heading Home With Your Newborn by Laura Jana and Jennifer Shu. It's been my go-to baby shower present ever since I used it with my kids. Common sense advice about every little thing there is to know about newborns done in a calming, empowering manner with none of the OMG YOUR BABY WILL DIE!!!! scariness or preachy judgements. LOVE this book.