RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Libraries and Self Published Authors: Part 4-- Resources

As I proclaimed in my 2016 Reading Resolutions, this year I am going to make an effort to be more informed about self published authors. From that post:
Not only will I make sure I read a few self published titles in a variety of genres, but I will also be blogging about self published books and specifically how we can and should handle them in libraries.
You can read Part 1 here, Part 2 here, and Part 3 here.

Today I am back with resources on the current state of self publishing to help me [and those of you who are interested] in my resolution to be more informed on this topic.

  • Publisher’s Weekly has this Self-Publishing Preview 2016 which also has a 2015 recap.
  • Here is a link to BookLife the PW site dedicated to the world of self-publishing. It includes reviews, tips, and author profiles. It is a great place for libraries to discover self published authors and for the authors to promote themselves.
  • Library Journal also has their own self publishing website-- Self-e. This one is more targeted to libraries than the PW site, but the PW site has more reviews. Use them in tandem.
  • Use this link to pull up all of the article in Library Journal tagged “Self Publishing and Libraries.”
  • Use this link to pull up the articles in American Libraries tagged “self-publishing,” including this article from last February about how libraries can be self-publishing leaders in their communities. This is an area I will be focusing on later in the year.
Join me as I look into how these traditional resources have handled this new publishing platform. I am going to make visiting BookLife and Self-e a regular part of my week until I feel more comfortable navigating this arena. 

I’ll be back soon with more posts on this topic. Including taking a look at this issue from the author’s point of view because the more research I do here the more I realize that how they are organizing to try to break into libraries is a vital part of the equation.

No comments: