RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, April 12, 2019

Flashback Friday: What I Read, Loved, But Forget to Suggest Anymore

Earlier this week I was looking in the way back machine of the blog to see some of my favorite reads since 2007 and I was surprised by how some  are still in my regular arsenal of backlist suggestions while others aren't. There were some really good books that I never suggest anymore and I am sad that they have been lost by the wayside. So I'm bringing them back to the forefront.

This is why I am always telling everyone to write down something about every book you read, well, something that isn't just the plot. Something about the "why" the book works, for you or for its best reader.

Going back and looking at my own reading has now given me a whole new set of backlist titles that I can suggest to readers. These are books I enjoyed previously, libraries still own them, and while the titles are a bit older, they will probably appear fresh and new to patrons as you suggest them. Why? Because they are new to them. This is where we can shine as library workers. Suggesting titles they wouldn't find somewhere else or on their own.

And here's the kicker, if you have been listening to me, and keeping track of your reading, you have built your own database of suggestions. Now just mine it for titles.

I'll start. Here is 1 book off of my "favorite reads of the year" list from 2007-2014. I have included 3 appeal terms [even before I did that for every book] and a link to the full review. I was going to keep going forward for every year I have had the blog, but as I got to 2015 and forward I realized I still regularly suggested these titles.

Feel free to use this list I created from my own "favs of the year," but also, go in your own way back machine and find more.

  • 2007: Finn by Jon Clinch [dark, classic reimagined, lyrical]
  • 2008: Dangerous Laughter by Steven Millhauser [macabre, lyrical, captivating
  • 2009: Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger [atmospheric, character centered, intricately plotted]
  • 2010: Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde [dystopian fantasy, thought provoking, great characters]
  • 2011: The Known World by Edward P. Jones [fluid time frame, lyrical, new view of history]
  • 2012: The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson [political thriller, introspective, haunting]
  • 2013: Boxers & Saints by Gene Luen Yang [character center, moving, both sides of the story]
  • 2014: A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki [meta, reflective, throughout provoking]

No comments: