RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, December 13, 2019

Becky's Backlist Best

[Yes, I meant to alliterate.]

I am always stumping for the importance of referring to backlist best lists during this time of year. Why? Because these titles are still "best," they just aren't the newest of the best.

The back list from 2-5 years ago is the "sweet spot" for reading suggestions that dazzle. Why? Because these are the titles your patrons have heard of but probably never got around to reading that year they were are on all the best lists. You remind them of a great read they missed and it is probably on the shelf [both because it isn't currently checked out and it is new enough that you haven't weeded it yet].

But most importantly, by suggesting backlist titles you are highlighting why your services are invaluable. You are giving them a great read, one they would never have found on their own, and the book and this personalized service are all included in their taxes. What a deal!

When I post the best lists of others, I comment on how easy they make finding backlist best lists, but I have not made my own as transparent.

Today I will post my personal Top 10's of the year from the last 5 years. But please note, you can easily find my backlist best lists by scrolling down to the bottom of every page's right gutter where year's of posts are archived. Over the last few years I have gone out of my way to make my personal best list the final post of each year. So a simple click the year and it will bring up my best of the year as the very first post that you see [or if not the very first when you go back further, it is in the first page].

So go back even further if you want, but below are the links to the past 5 years of my personal Top 10 Books I read in that year [they are not only books that came out in that year]. They all link to reviews so you can handsell. these titles immediately:


No comments: