RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, August 2, 2024

Conversation Starter to Display Idea: Best Book to Screen Adaptations

One of my favorite things to talk about is how to use a conversation starter to build interactive displays. Please go here for the longer discussion on this topic including a worksheet to get you started.

Since shifting my focus to this concept in 2023, I have added MANY new conversation starter ideas and questions. You can find this by clicking here to see every post I have tagged "conversation starter." (That link is also at the bottom of the worksheet which you can access at the link above.

Today's idea is evergreen-- the always popular Books to Screen Discussion. I am reviving it right now because Entertainment Weekly had a post this week starting the conversation by publishing "The 29 Best Book to Screen Adaptations of All Time.

Use my advice in the post and worksheet to include your patrons in this conversation. Post the EW list online, put up a display of books with screen adaptations, and start asking staff and patrons to weigh in. See what they like. It is a great way to get some backlist titles on display and into the hands of readers.

And because this is an anytime of year display with hundreds of options from across your collections (all ages and fiction and nonfiction) you can use it now, or save it for when you are out of ideas. It will engage all patrons, from all age levels. No matter when you use this conversation starter to engage your patrons, you can be confident they will have an opinion.

Speaking of all ages, this is a great chance to also try an Intergenerational Display (another topic I have been a proponent of for years, but for which some libraries don't "allow." When I went to PLA in April, I saw a library advocate for it and I have this post where I link to those slides and go into more detail from my perspective about the importance of showing everyone, every age of user, that the library is for them in one display.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: