RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Big Month of Books: May 2010

As I was catching up on my reading about books today at work, I realized there are a lot of big name books coming out this month-- many of which I have something to say about (surprise).

InnocentFirst of all, tomorrow Scott Turow's new novel, Innocent, a sequel to the still popular Presumed Innocent, is out. The book is getting good reviews but what I want to tell all of you is what a truly nice guys he is. Back in my pre-public library days I was a reference librarian at the big Chicago law firm where Turrow is a partner and he was nothing but nice and respectful to the library staff and to me personally. It is nice to see one of the good guys getting the attention he deserves

And its is not just me who likes Turow; his fellow authors just voted him the new President of the Author's Guild.

The Lonely Polygamist: A NovelAnother new title this month that I am eagerly awaiting is The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall. Back in 2000 when I first started working RA I could not put Udall's first novel (The Miracle Life Of Edgar Mint) into enough people's hands. In fact, that novel is still one of my favorite go-to back list, hidden gem suggestions. I have given it out so much that I wouldn't be surprsied if the Berwyn Library has the highest circ stats on Edgar Mint in the country. Back to The Lonely Polygamist.  Udall's new book is also garnering great reviews. I am on hold for it. Are you?

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
You are living under a rock if you do not know about the last of the late Stieg Larsson's books due to come out this month. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire were 2 of my favorite books I read in 2009. Like just about everyone else on the planet, I am both hotly anticipating The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest's release and sadden by the fact that once I finish it, there will be no more. I am glad to see reviewers are saying that the trilogy is appropriately and satisfyingly concluded in this novel. However, it is sad to think that Larsson never got to live to see his great success and critical acclaim.

The Ark: A Novel The Indie Next List for May also pointed me to The Ark by Boyd Morrison:
Can the ancient world still impact the modern? In a resounding 'Yes,' Boyd Morrison relates a story involving Noah's Ark and a modern bioweapon. This fast-paced suspense sweeps two engineers and an archaeologist into the grip of modern day fanaticism. The Ark will take you on a roller coaster ride of plot twists and turns. Highly recommended! —Fran Wilson, Colorado State University Bookstore, Fort Collins, CO
Sounds like a sure winner to me.

Click here and here to see other lists of the best of May 2010. What are you waiting to read?

No comments: