RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

RIP: J. D. Salinger

As you probably already know, J.D. Salinger passed away today at the age of 91.

I am not a re-reader, but The Catcher in the Rye is one of a few books which I have read multiple times. Yes, I read it as a teenager, but I have also revisited it in college, and as an adult.  I have not yet read it as a parent, but maybe now I will.

I will not tell you (as some will) that it was the greatest book ever written.  It was not. And, it did not change my life forever.  But it did change Young Adult literature forever.  The Catcher in the Rye opened the door to the more serious, issue oriented teen literature available to our kids today.  Not surprisingly, it is also one of the most challenged books ever.

Salinger was just as famous for his reclusive lifestyle as he was for his classic novel. He always said that he just wanted to be left alone, both him and Holden.

I hope he is finally at peace.

No comments: