RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Books for Mom

Each year I buy a book for my mom and my mother-in-law for Mother's Day. I will not disclose what book I chose this year since they sometimes read the blog, but, I will tell you what it is not...a book about being a mother!  In fact, now that I think about it, there is no mother in the book I chose for them.

I am starting to see a few lists out there suggesting books for mom, like this one.  As a mom myself, I am offended by the fact that all of the books on these lists are about being a mother, about children, or are strictly women's lives stories.

Hey, I have a news flash, moms like to read books about more than just being moms. In fact, I generally read books that are not about being a mom, since that is something I do (and love) every day of the year. When I read for fun, I want something dark, with supernatural undertones, and maybe a nice and evil unreliable narrator.

So publishers and list makers out there, remember that moms are people first. We are not defined solely by our place as mothers. We are all individuals with different reading tastes. Maybe we want more than "mom" books for Mother's Day.

PS: I promise to disclose what book I bought for my moms after Mother's Day, but to give a hint, it is a book I read in the last 12 months and really enjoyed. It is also a good, light read for summer.

No comments: