RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Discussion: What to Read When You Are Relaxing?

I was at the spa with my sister-in-law on Friday, and before I went, one of my most difficult decisions was what book to bring with me.  I know, tough life, but bare with me a minute.

This is a question that happens to come up at the RA desk quite a lot this time of year. No, not what to read at the spa, but rather, now that the holiday rush is over, patrons want help switching to a book they can spend more time with.

People are ready to relax after the holidays and they have more time to get lost in a book.  I see my requests for quick, light reads going down, and the questions about meatier, more methodically paced title going up.

For me, I turned to Brookland by Emily Barton, a sweeping historical novel that has been on my to-read list for a few years, but I never quite had enough time to get to.  A day at the spa, was the perfect time to sink my teeth into it.  I also think this would be a good chance to start the Stieg Larsson Millennium Trilogy if you haven't read it yet, since the first book, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, takes about 100 pages to really get going, but after that, you will be read to engulf all 3 titles.

But that is just me.  For today's Monday Discussion what book would suggest to someone who has some well deserved relaxation time coming and wants a good book to read?  Forget the specific opinions of the hypothetical reader here and just share your opinions about what you would choose for yourself.

To follow past Monday Discussions, click here.

3 comments:

John BPL RA said...

I used to always read non-fiction books of history or theology but they've become so dry lately that I usually opt for historical fiction instead. I recently got into a Napoleonic series by the french author Patrick Rambaud which is quite good. The Alexander Cipher by will Adams was also very impressive.

CrystalV said...

I have been reaching back to the classics for something that is light, yet can still make the literary critic come out in me. Currently I am reading a Jane Austen novel "Sense and Sensibility"

Laurie said...

I brought home The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman to sink my teeth into after the holiday craziness subsided. The author is compared in the jacket copy to Jane Austen, Saul Bellow, and Philip Roth. It sounds like a bookish, meaty, but entertaining book. I'm looking forward to some cutting social commentary, analysis of relationships, and some love and romance.