RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Breaking News: Amazon is Going to Share!!!

In the most exciting ebook news yet, Amazon announced today that sometime this year, they will allow library patrons to borrow ebooks for their Kindles with their library card.  From the CNN article:
"We're excited that millions of Kindle customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from their local libraries," Jay Marine, Amazon's director for the Kindle, said in a press release.

Click here and here for more stories.

This is exciting for many reasons.  First, the Kindle is the  best selling ebook reader.  Now, these people can borrow books for their reader.  The biggest problem with Kindle is that you had to purchase every book you read, or only "buy" free ones.  I don't know about you, but as a big library user, I rarely buy books.  I would go broke if I had to pay for each one.

Second, if this plan goes through it means I will get a Kindle.  I have been waiting to buy an ereader because I really wanted a Kindle, but would not buy one until I could borrow books.  Yes, I was standing on principle even as I was secretly hoping for a Kindle.  We are getting a family iPad 2 this spring, but that will be shared by all four of us, this includes 2 elementary aged children who are already fighting over who gets to use it first and we haven't even gotten it yet.  I have open access to the Sony e Reader, the Nook, and a Kindle through work, but truth be told, a Kindle is what I really want to own for myself.

So thanks Amazon.  I have always been a big user of Amazon, but I am also a professional fan of the information about readers, reading habits, and books that I can cull from the site.  Their unwillingness to share was frustrating.  My faith in you has been restored.

Now to go off and daydream about all of the books I will load on my hypothetical Kindle using my library card, not my credit card.

No comments: