RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday Discussion: What Books Are You Giving Out This Holiday Season

I know it is early, but with the entire month of December's discussions scheduled for year in review, I wanted to ask now:  What books are you buying for people this holiday season?

If you read this blog AND participate in the Monday Discussion, I know you are a book lover.  And, us book lovers love to give books to people.

So, share your ideas here, or use the discussion to get new ideas.  I will start.  For all of the adult readers on my list I am giving Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson.  This is a great, thrilling, and suspenseful story with little sex and violence.  I will have a full review soon, but it is my go-to holiday book gift. I have already told my Dad to buy it for my Mom.  It is also on many year-end best lists and is a Berwyn Staff favorite.

I will also be gifting the new Shel Silverstein poetry collection Every Thing On It and Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick to families on my list, including  my own.

Finally, I would like to remind people to support their local book store when making their book purchases.  I am splitting my purchases between my children's school book sale and The Book Table in Oak Park.

So what books are you planning to gift this season?

Past Monday Discussions can be followed here.

4 comments:

John BPL RA said...

I'm too specialized. I grill people on what they like and what they want. I use my library job as an excuse to start a conversation about literature but in reality I'm figuring out what book to give them. I like to start such interrogations early in the year so they don't even suspect Christmas.

Cheryl said...

Just saw one today that I have to get for family, "Goodnight iPad" by Ann Droyd. (Do you suppose that's a pseudonym)

Kimberly said...

My family has reached that stage in our lives in which gifts sometimes merely represent one more item of clutter and a really good book is too great a temptation to add to already groaning shelves. Rather than add to each other’s excruciating decisions to keep or donate to the Friends of the Library sale, we have tried to add spending time with one another while creating a good work our holiday emphasis. Our favorite activity is a shopping trip for new toys that are given to the US Marine Corps Toys for Tots campaign followed by pizza at our favorite local pizza parlor. Have you seen grown men in the aisles of Target playing with every single toy? Say hi as that’s probably us having a great time with this project.

In recent years, though, the Toys for Tots website has added a Toys for Tots Literacy program as well. Not only does the program provide the printed word for seriously disadvantaged youth, but I know that I can double my contribution because my employer has a matching gifts program that will match my contribution dollar for dollar for this program. Our local chain bookstore generally has a holiday book donation program for children, too. Please consider these worthy activities for your holiday attention. When done with other members of your family they can be fun as well as satisfying.

However, I must admit that one book is finding its way to my sister from Santa’s sack: Crafting with Cat Hair by Kaori Tsutaya. Who can resist trying to solve some of her problems with shedding season in the spring?

Anonymous said...

Mike BPL REF

My best friend is a huge pulp
fiction fan.I never go wrong
getting him large coffe table
art books depicting old book
or magazine covers from the
1930's-1950's or books of old
movie posters.