RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fall Previews Are Coming Fast and Furious

As I do at the beginning of most seasons, I will periodically point out a few of the important and interesting pre-pub lists. But I also want to remind you that my colleagues over at RA Online are the experts here.

Go to their Fall Books list now to see a comprehensive list of Fall books in all genres (including nonfiction).  It will be updated throughout the season.  Don't forget to also take a look at their awesome list for Summer 2012 to see what a completed compilation looks like. Which reminds me, just because it is not summer anymore, that doesn't mean those hot summer books are off limits now.  In fact, hold lists may finally be done for many of those titles.

This is also an important time to note one of my blog philosophies, both for me and anyone looking to start a library blog. You need to pick a focus for your blog and stick to it.  In my case, I have my mission statement right at the top of every page:
LOOKING FOR YOUR NEXT GOOD READ? RA FOR ALL IS A BLOG TO SHOWCASE HOW THE READERS' ADVISORS AT YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC LIBRARY CAN HELP.
On the horror blog, I have a longer mission statement here.

I try very hard to stick to those missions and not go too far away from their scope and intent.  So, in this case, I have made the choice to pass on a few lists each season, but I do not try to keep up with all of them for you.

Resources like RA Online, however do this as part of their mission.  A good librarian knows where to find the answers, when to share them, and not to waste time (and money) duplicating services.  To that end, use RA Online's comprehensive season lists; don't look here for that information.  Go there for up to the minute additions.  Goodness knows I use those lists frequently both as a collection development tool and to help readers.  In fact, as mentioned above, I particularly like to use the immediately past season to help readers looking "for something good."

That being said, to get you started, here are a few lists and articles about this busy fall season that I wanted to pass on:

  • Early Word has this post about the literary traffic jam that is stacking up right now.
  • io9 has this list of the best SF and Fantasy coming out in September
  • While I have seen many articles about the plethora of book based movies coming out soon, this post from BookBrowse is they only place where I have seen a bunch of the trailers all in one place.

No comments: