RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Monday Discussion: Short Story Collections

I just checked out the brand new Tom Perrotta shot story collection Nine Inches. It made me think about having a Monday Discussion on short story collections.  I did a quick search, and it turns out, way back in June of 2010 [the first month I hosted the Monday Discussion] I had this post soliciting your favorite story collections.

I figured 3 years is enough time to revisit the discussion. Plus, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment and a nice short story collection sounds like the perfect medicine.

As I said, you can click here to see my favorites back in 2010.  But here is a list since then of the short story collections I have read and enjoyed.  All links go to my review:

Now it is your turn.  For today's Monday Discussion, please share your all time or recent favorite short story collections.

Finally, if you are looking for another take on short stories, scoot on over to the archive for the podcast Books on the Nightstand where they are running Project Short Story for all of 2013.  From their website:
At Books on the Nightstand, we’re dubbing 2013 “The Year of the Short Story.” In celebration, Ann is reading one story a day, for the entire year. We’ll also be highlighting new story collections, lit magazines, and online resources for short fiction. Below are links to all of our posts tagged “Project Short Story”
 For past Monday Discussions, click here.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

I looked at your list and I thought ”Visit from the Goon Squad was short stories?” It seemed to be one book, so I realized that I really did enjoy the collections of one character depicted in a series of stories such as that and Olive Kitteridge. I am currently reading This is Paradise by Kristiana Kahakauwila and enjoy the short story format for these stories because there would otherwise be too much to consider at one time. In addition to short fiction, though, I have been given an opportunity to read a pre-publication copy of a book called Fried Walleye and Cherry Pie, a collection of essays by Midwestern authors on regional food and times at the table. I have truly enjoyed this book!! When providing readers with short stories, don’t forget the non-fiction compendiums.

Becky said...

Yes Kim, Egan's book is considered a novel in stories. They are connected, but can also be read alone.

Thanks for the nonfiction point too.

John BPL RA said...

My all time favorite short story collection is American Gothic Tales edited by Joyce Carol Oates. It has stories organized in chronological order dating from the earliest days of American literature until now. It includes some of the greatest authors in history.

Anonymous said...

A Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor, Sleight of Hand by Peter S. Beagle, and my very very favorite - Oscar Wilde's single short story/poetry collection.

Sabrina said...

I have to agree with Carey about A Good Man. Flannery O'Connor's stories are amazing. I'm also a fan of Stephen King's collections (though I can't choose just one).

Donna said...

I recently finished "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and "The Innocence of Father Brown." Earlier in the year I read "The Tenth of December" by George Saunders and "Let's Discuss Diabetes with Owls" by David Sedaris. While I liked each of these books, my problem is that I tend to read through them like a long novel treating the individual stories as chapters rather than as stand-alone stories. I really must learn to put a book of short stories down between each and savor the individual story. Otherwise it all gets smushed together and either doesn't make any sense (because they are NOT one story) or I get tired of it real quickly. So I think pacing myself as a reader is the best way I can approach a collection of short stories.