RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Are Audiobooks Benefiting From the Popularity of Podcasts?

That is the title of a recent article by tech, media and marketing expert Simon Owens. In the article he cites some interesting research that seems to say, yes audiobooks are gaining in popularity. I see this happening anecdotally at my library too.

So, I thought it was a good time to point out some of my favorite audiobook resources, including one that will be updated this very weekend at ALA Midwinter -- The Listen List!

From the RUSA website:
Established in 2010 by the CODES section of RUSA, The Listen List: Outstanding Audiobook Narration seeks to highlight outstanding audiobook titles that merit special attention by general adult listeners and the librarians who work with them.
The Listen List Council selects a list of twelve titles including fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and plays. To be eligible, titles must be available for purchase and circulation by libraries. The list of winning titles is annotated, stressing the appeal elements of the title, and includes listen-alikes to lead listeners to additional audio experiences. The Council announces the winning titles at the CODES Book and Media Awards Reception, held the Sunday of each ALA Midwitner Meeting. All selected titles are published on the RUSA Web site following the event.
You can use this link to find the 3 previous years of lists. And in just a few days, a brand new list will be announced.
Remember, as I stated in this popular post, Awards Lists make for a great RA Tool; really one of the best tools you can use in terms of how much they can help you in so many different ways.  Click through for that post to see how.
You can also click here for a recent post in which I compiled some of my favorite audiobook resources.  Or here for everything I have ever labelled audiobooks.  I went through all the posts myself, and they go all the way back to the very first days of this blog (August 2007). I found some interesting info there myself. 
Right now, I am obsessed with my audiobook version of The Martian by Andy Weir and am wondering if it will end up on the 2015 Listen List. Only a few days left to see.

No comments: