RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Resource Alert: IndieFab Awards

Regular readers know that one of my favorite tools or matching readers with a great read is the awards list. Any awards list is a good tool. For more on why awards lists are resource gold for anyone working with leisure readers or those doing collection development, click here to read one of my most popular posts, aptly titled, “Using Awards Lists As A RA Tool.

Recently, I found a “new to me” award that I was not aware of but it is a treasure trove of information-- The INDIEFAB Book of the Year Awards. From their site:
Foreword Reviews’ 2015 INDIEFAB Book of the Year Awards Winners AnnouncedJune 25, 2016—Today, during the American Library Association’s Annual Conference, Foreword Reviews announced the winners for the 18th annual INDIEFAB Book of the Year Awards. For a full list of the winners, searchable by genre, visit:https://indiefab.forewordreviews.com/winners/2015/ 
“Foreword’s INDIEFAB judges are the key to our winners selection process, and, in our minds, the most foolproof way to choose award-winning books,” said Victoria Sutherland, publisher of Foreword Reviews. “We work with a librarian and bookseller in each category to provide us with an insider’s perspective on what would do well on consumer and library shelves. Using industry professionals confirms the trade quality of a book.” 
Nearly 2,000 entries by independent publishers, university presses, and self-published authors were entered in 66 categories, but only the very best were named gold, silver, bronze, and honorable mention designees.
Click through to see the 66 categories and a backlist of past year’s nominees and winners!

Not only is this award a great way to identify independently published titles that have been deemed the best by a panel of librarians and booksellers, but also-- all those categories. This is a boon for collection development too. You can winnow down some great books in very specific categories of fiction and nonfiction.

I will also use this to make backlist and lesser known suggestions to my patrons based on their genre preferences with this list too. I am so excited to start using it. Actually, I will start with myself. I am sprinting out to get my hands on the past few years’ horror titles ASAP.

No comments: