RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Recent Awards Lists...Use to Help Readers!

Every time a new awards list comes out I feel like I am contractually obligated [to myself] to remind you that all awards lists can be used as a RA Tool. Click here for more details on that.

In that post, I talk about how awards finalist lists can help you to enhance your collections and help more readers. And, if you use the compound interest [or as I like to call it, the treasure trove] of past lists, you literally have thousands of titles at your fingertips.

This month we had three ballots come out that I want to alert you to. All fill a specific need for a genre or format question that I know you have had at the desk before. How do I know? Because I have had these questions many times.

Below I mention each, provide a bit of commentary, and a link to the full list of nominees.

The first is the final ballot for the Bram Stoker Awards for the best horror writing of the year. I wrote a much more detailed post about this year's list over on the horror blog. And this year, I have a personal stake in the outcomes. Oh, and so do you. What am I talking about? Click through and read that post for yourself to find out.

To stay on the genre theme, next are the Nebulas. The Nebulas are like the Stokers in that they are voted on by the writers, but in this case it is the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. The list is fantastic this year and there is even 1 title that overlaps with the Stokers.  See if you can find it for yourself.

And finally, from genre to format, the finalists for the Audies can be found here. Handed out by the Audio Book Publishers of America, this list is amazing. Not because of who is nominated, but because of its shear length and specificity. There are categories for the best audio books in all the major genres (although not horror which always makes me a little sad), but there are also categories based on who is narrating, how many people, the intended audience age level, and more. This is a list that is comprehensive and easy to use with readers who have specific audiobook needs.

Get out there and help a reader using one of these awards lists or any awards lists for that matter. And don't forget, while this year's nominees may be in high demand and checked out, there is always last year's list, or the year before's, or the year before that, or...oh, you get the point.

No comments: