RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Book Pop! courtesy of Quirk Books

RA for All is back to live posts. Thanks for hanging with me while I was gone. Please note, it will take a few days for me to get back into the regular swing of things but today I have some interactive news for everyone courtesy of Quirk Books-- Book Pop!

Click here to access the content
You can click here to see the full schedule. It is a fun, interactive Comic Con like experience from your computer. And it is free. I would highly recommend checking in at least a few times between now and August 11th [if not everyday]. This is a fun and free way to get up to speed in the place where RA Service and pop culture collide.

That is one of the biggest areas where library staff feel like they are lagging behind. It is hard to stay up to date on all of the popular media, but our line of work now requires that we know how to make these whole collection connections for people. Patrons want books and movies and comics and tv shows and video games that all share a similar appeal. They are beginning to care less and less about format and more about content.

While this evolution in how patrons consume their leisure items from the library is exciting to me from a theoretical perspective, it is also scary as heck from a practical one. You see, it is awesome that people are beginning to understand that when they like a movie, for example, there are more than just similar movies that they will also like; there is a while world of story telling in a variety of forms that they will also enjoy. However, how can we help them if we barely have a handle on all the genres of books.

This double edged sword is something I will try to help you with in the future, but for the next 2 weeks, Quirk Books will help us all fill in some of the gaps.

I’ll be back tomorrow with a post about the Booklist SF/FSY/Horror spotlight issue in which I have a lot of content. It goes live today though, if you are interested.

And Thursday also brings the next meeting of the ARRT Speculative Fiction Genre Study [which fits in nicely with the Book Pop events as it is about Movies, TV and Video Games].

Finally I also have some big announcements about up coming events and new duties for me. I am not sure on the timing for all of those but it is soon. So, stay tuned because I am back.

But first, back to unpacking and laundry as I have only been home for 14 hours.

No comments: