RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Reading Resolutions 2019: Part 2-- Becky's Resolutions

Yesterday I began the process of posting my 2019 reading resolutions by first looking back and assessing how I did on my 2018 resolutions. You can read that post here.

Today, using what I learned by assessing how last year went, and knowing what planned things I have coming up this year, I present my 2019 Resolutions-- the ones I will hold myself to for assessment a year from now.

Again, please remember, I post these both so that I am forced to hold myself to them [or not as the case may be] but also because I am a big proponent of the "lead by example" leadership style. If I am advocating for you to make resolutions and then go back and assess how you did before making the next year's resolutions, I also have to do it myself.

However, that being said, my resolutions are very specific to me. I do not expect nor encourage you to take mine as your own. Please use the process as the example and then try to make some for yourself.

Here we go. I have some BIG plans in store for me and all of you this year.

2019 Resolution: I will move the backlist to the front list. As I saw in my assessment of last year, I did not read any true backlist titles last year. Zero. Zilch. As a huge proponent of the joys, power, and importance of backlist titles, this is inexcusable. In order to improve here I need to be more conscious of seeking out backlist titles; therefore, I am going to set a goal of reading at least 6 books in 2019 that are new to me and have pub dates that are at least 2-5 years old. I will start with my Goodreads "want to read" list; in fact, I am putting one on hold at the library as I write this.

2019 Resolution: I will post reading challenges here on the blog. Reading challenges are very popular, the most notable being the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge. I think reading challenges are great for a lot of readers, and I often glance at the Book Riot one when I am hunting for inspiration on something different to read, but for me personally, they do not work as a training method. I think reading challenges are very good for the general reader and the library worker who needs help getting out of their comfort zone, but for me, they just aren't a good fit. However, I am going to use the idea of the reading challenge to inspire all of us to read something different, but at the same time in order to spark conversation. I am working on a way we can interact more and discuss this challenge-- together. Since this will be a new feature here on the blog, it may take me a month or two to work this out, and I will probably only have 4 all year; they will function more like mini discussions rather than a list of books you should read. Stay tuned! [As a result, I think I might also be phasing out the Call to Action posts, but again, we will see. Those have gotten less frequent anyway. And the archive won't go anywhere.]

2019 Resolution: I will "read about" all areas of Speculative Fiction and share that process with all of you. This resolution is here for two reasons. The first is that I am the "captain" of the team that is in charge of revising the Speculative Fiction section of the ARRT Popular Fiction Workbook [older version is available to members and on NoveList]. In 2018 our team focused on the genres and subgenres, redefining many, streamlining others, and adding and eliminating. We are presenting our work to the entire committee this week [as are the other groups for their work]. In 2019 we are going to be assigning the authors to the subgenres, so I need to make sure that we capture the most representative authors for each subgenre. Yes, as you can see, I was going to be doing this resolution anyway, but it leads to directly to reason 2 for this resolution. The second reason I am making this a resolution is that I often talk about how reading about books is just as important as reading the books themselves [it is part of Rule 5 of my 10 Rules]; however, I haven't spent much time showing you how to actually "read about books" and keep track of it in a way that is helpful. In other words, I am telling you to do this, but I am not leading by example as well as I should. Therefore, since I have to spend a lot of time" reading about" Speculative Fiction this year, I will make sure to have posts where I talk about how I am doing that, how I am keeping track of what I am learning, and how I use it in as I help readers. I will be sharing the process and the content in order to help you do the same.

2019 Resolution: I will continue to closely monitor my horror vs no horror reading. As I mentioned yesterday, this was a transition year, as I increased my commitment to the horror writing community. And now in 2019 is when that increased commitment turns into more work. I am excited for the new experiences and challenges, but I know it will have some effect on the rest of my work, I am just not sure if that effect will be positive, neutral, or negative. Most likely it is a combination of all three, and I am okay with that. I just need to actively consider the overall effects throughout the year, as it is happening, especially in how it effects all of you and my work as a general RA Service trainer.

Finally, I did not mention it in the post yesterday, but as I was going over my assessment one more time yesterday while putting the final touches on my official resolutions, I did go back and look at the over a decade worth of resolutions I have posted here on the blog. If you have made resolutions in the past, I highly recommends taking some time to go back and look at your past self. For example, I noticed areas in which I grew overtime, but also places where while I accomplished the goal in a given year, 2-3 years later I can see I didn't keep it up. It was a very enlightening experience.

Now I'm ready 2019. I have assessed 2018 and planned for 2019. Let's do this and see what happens along the way...together.

No comments: