RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, September 3, 2021

What I'm Reading: STAR for On the Hierophant Road

The September issue of Booklist features my STAR review of a speculative fiction collection for which I had high hopes going in, and it still blew me away. 

It is published by Raw Dog Screaming Press who are one of my favorite independent presses [see the full list here]. Their books are well made, of excellent writing quality, and easy to get though our normal ordering channels. Please check out all of their other titles, but get this one ordered immediately.

On the Hierophant Road

By James Chambers

Oct. 2021. 232p. Raw Dog Screaming, paper, $15.95  (9781947879379)
First published September 1, 2021 (Booklist).

In his new collection of mostly previously published stories, Chambers [On The Night Border] has found the sweet spot where Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror meet, and fans of richly drawn, addictively compelling, speculative tales overflowing with dread and discomfort are in for a treat. Featuring well trod tropes as varied as faeries, space exploration, the muti-verse, dragons, steampunk, and more, Chambers brings something new with each entry. Standout examples include, “The Price of Faces,” a dystopian, near future body horror with Bradbury vibes, “Upon Waves, Wind and Tide,” a dark mermaid tale for McGuire fans, “ Grilg Friendly,” an alien invasion story set in a well manicured neighborhood, and the superb dark fantasy, “Meet the Tuskersons,” both a magical fantasy and an expose of a classic [fictional] TV show, with walruses! These tales are united by their proximity to reality, slightly askew, with just enough detail to immerse readers in the well built worlds and sympathetic protagonists, both of which drive each story, keeping readers turning the page and begging for more. All are satisfyingly unsettling, with tones ranging from existential terror to an uneasy sense of awe. For fans of the new breed of dark speculative fiction writers who actively play with genre confines to create reads that are inventive, thought-provoking and creepily fun like C. Robert Cargill, Caitlin Starling, and Cassandra Khaw.


Further Appeal: I cannot stress enough how fantastic these stories are. Each one is different, taking a different speculative angle, and yet the collection is united as I say above. 
Framed around themes as varied as body horror, dystopia, mermaids, aliens, space, faeries, dragons, steampunk noir, military horror, road trips, and more.

These titles were scattered throughout the publishing landscape but by gathering them together, readers will be able to get a full sense of Chambers' breadth.

From my notes which are longer than what I included above:

"All are united by being just slightly askew of reality to easily draw the reader in. All are unsettling, some veer all the way into outright terror, some have a dark sense of awe. The strong world building in each story is anchored by superior character development, thought provoking story lines, and an immersive and compelling pace. Dark and Speculative !!!!"

I have too many favorites to list them all but the first 4-- all different-- had me hooked; there was no stopping after that. 

I was also impressed by how each story connected me to the emotions of dread and unease so quickly. Such connection to the emotion, the fear, the dread so quickly in each story. "Upon Waves, Wind and Tide" is a great example of how well it is done quickly. And entire world is built with emotion in this short story.

The only complaint I can muster here is that for some of these stories, the reader will be begging for more. I demand a novel for a few of them. I knew I would give it a star because as I kept reading, I kept changing what my favorite story was.

Three Words That Describe This Book: unsettling, character centered, immersive

Readalikes: While the three up above link to more options, I would also suggest people who like this story also try the short fiction of Lucy Snyder or John Hornor Jacobs.


No comments: